Touchscreen replaces handle in bathroom faucet — what could go wrong?

Originally published at: Touchscreen replaces handle in bathroom faucet — what could go wrong? | Boing Boing

5 Likes

“Toilet lid may be raised after the following commercials.”

35 Likes

Ewwww.

Ads while washing your hands now. Just great.

Advertising is pollution.

Edit: How long until the software crashes and the bathroom floods?

21 Likes

My faucets are connected to a larger network, too – Just no touchscreen…

33 Likes

This is where you start carrying a dry-erase marker around and write your own competing ad on the mirror [this space for sale!]. Or just protest the utter dumbassery of ads on faucets FFS.

9 Likes

I imagine that the men’s room ones play very loud ads about erectile dysfunction.

8 Likes
14 Likes

Ads in the shower next, hooked up to the spigots there, and loud so you can hear it over the running water. Also, a new one attached to the toilet paper holder and you have to listen to a one minute ad to get something to wipe your ass with (because nothing says “this ad is crap” like wiping away your crap right after you’ve seen it).

Hey, MGM? Next Vegas trip, I’ll be staying ANY place else, thanks. There’s literally nothing you can offer me on that touchscreen piece of crap faucet that would entice me.

6 Likes

582wpb

9 Likes

nope. sharpie or actual; paint markers, although if I’m going for vandalism, I’m just gonna put something hard n heavy through it.

8 Likes

When a society isn’t engaged in industrial genocide, this is what amoral and incompetent designers end up creating (the ones with morals, of course, end up designing toasters).

11 Likes

It never occurred to any of these people they could just … stick a small screen on the mirror right?

Not that I want another screen showing ads but just … connecting it to the faucet seems an extra stupid step.

11 Likes

Perhaps they are the same designers who wanted to put solar panels in our roadways.

10 Likes

I thought for sure we were going to get a picture of a touchscreen with poop on it.

2 Likes

Damn, you’re probably right there. Those kinds of projects that keep going without asking the most blindingly obvious questions that I guess if you are not knee deep in the tech-bro mindset you would have asked before getting that far. Also do we really need more surfaces to touch now that we are in the Covid age? The one tech that actually makes sense is the motion sensing faucets so you don’t have to touch yet one more public surface.

4 Likes

Based on the video I don’t think it’s actually a touchscreen. Just a little video screen hooked up to a cellular modem so it can show you ads served remotely.

Almost literally. The next step will be flushing toilets activated a similar way

3 Likes

ads…will never appear alongside offensive content.

Given that this is in a bathroom, is this really a promise they can keep? :joy:

8 Likes

Monetizing the toilet is a new low in the World.

7 Likes

My phone always registers extra touches when I use it with wet hands/get droplets of water on it. Wouldn’t this have issues turning off even without storage errors?

3 Likes