Simulation of a sub implosion

Lost subs are always interesting. There’s just something fascinating and tragic about lost subs. Subs in general, lost or not, are pretty wild, but when they’re lost, holy cow.

Sim fails to show the inevitable girly pics and posters bursting out.

Don’t pass up a tour! Courtesy of Navy recruiters, our high school’s engineering majors got to see the innards of the USS Trepang. There was zero indication that I or anyone else in our group would’ve joined up at any point… but it would have been insane to pass up on a chance at seeing a nuclear-powered sub’s gutty-wuts! Incredibly interesting. (Note that I’m uncomfortable in tight spaces, but even the smallish Trepang posed no problem for me.)

2 Likes

Until this species learns to live on other worlds, space combat is always just going to be an extension of air combat. Which in turn is just a extension of ground combat. Point is, its always and forever about protecting what’s down in the well.

By the time we have extended our cultural attention span to be able to beat the problems of offworld living, I imagine space combat to be a fictional trope on the same shelf as Barsoom and Cavorite.

It’s just too expensive to go murdering astronauts. I don’t think those lives are ever going to get cheaper than they are now.

(And if some terrorist blows up the ISS, I’ll have to eat my hat)

3 Likes
2 Likes

I was on a cruising submarine. You do not feel claustrophobic. The crew remains calm so you stay calm. Storage is very efficient. Also, it is like living in a cave because your circadian rhythm changes. You can stay up past sixteen hours and not feel tired.

6 Likes

After potentially burning.

Wait, what?!?!

Yup, an implosion will result in adiabatic compression. An implosion at 600 meters will raise pressure from 1 bar to 60 bar and temperature will jump from 18 C up to 645 C !!! Just shy of the melting point of aluminum.

11 Likes

This feature can be a bug:

This makes Thetis one of the few military vessels that have been lost twice with their crews in their service history.

HMS Thetis sank in the shallow waters of Liverpool bay, with the stern still visible above water. Even so, ninety-nine lives were lost.

I think it might be less sudden. Hard vacuum isn’t instant death- I blame Total Recall for the idea that it is. Plus, of course, I imagine that a spaceship expecting combat would probably not have the crew in shirtsleeves- they would certainly be wearing pressure suits, and might have already opened their compartments to vacuum to reduce fire risk.

2 Likes

And as a type XI, it was larger than most U-boats. And they have modified the hatches to make it easier to walk through.

At first, when I saw the title on the video, I thought they were talking about the later transport submarine LPSS-574 and thought “Found? Don’ they know exactly where they sunk it?”

1 Like

I once took a tour of the USS Cod, a WWII submarine now located in Cleveland. The tour guide was an old vet who served on the vessel and he told numerous stories. He said that after several days underwater, the oxygen level was so poor that it would sometimes take two or three matches to light a cigarette. I couldn’t imagine being stuck in a smoke-filled tube under the sea. I would lose my mind.

5 Likes

Yeah, I’ve often thought about that. If you had any chance of getting within range with a weapon (which could be very iffy), the battle wouldn’t look at all like 99% of space battles in movies and shows. The ships almost certainly never get within visual range of each other, but basically remain just blips on each other’s screens, until one of them finally blinks out.

2 Likes

In other words, a bit like depth-charging eh?

2 Likes
2 Likes

Death wouldn’t be immediate, but loss of consciousness more or less would be. At 57k feet, the highest you can use oxygen masks without a full pressure suit, you have just 9 seconds of useful consciousness if cabin pressure is lost. Holding your breath doesn’t help, the oxygen is literally boiling out of your blood into your lungs at that point. That’s what they taught us before going in the JSC hypobaric chamber for training, anyway. (I’ve only been to 25k equiv, personally, and even with 5 minutes of consciousness it was still quite terrifying to imagine going through for real!)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.