Singapore deploys autonomous robots to catch smokers and other "undesirable social behaviors"

Originally published at: Singapore deploys autonomous robots to catch smokers and other "undesirable social behaviors" | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I’m no libertarian, but that’s a nannybot if I ever saw one.

Not a sign of a healthy society.

Begs for someone to drive around projecting holograms of people engaging in outrageous behavior e.g. carrying and smoking a massive bong. In the nude. :smiley:

7 Likes

“Please put down your cigarette. You have 20 seconds to comply.”

17 Likes

Before trying that, better check the Singapore penal system. It’s one country where you do not want to get caught even for minor crimes.

7 Likes

In Reno they have these folks, I like that better.

giphy-3

7 Likes

Some perverse comfort knowing that nanny-bots such as these would survive about three minutes in any 'merkun [salutes] city before their parts were posted on eBay

9 Likes

Is the “gathering in groups of more than 5” a pandemic thing, or did it exist prior?

(i.e. is it a “no protests allowed” rule?)

2 Likes

All you need to do is chew gum, actually

3 Likes

I suppose pushing the SnitchBot 5000 on its side and laughing as its wheels spin helplessly would be considered a “socially undesirable behaviour”.

7 Likes

Previously on BoingBoing

Singapore is certainly worth keeping an eye on. Other “social straitjacket societies” are watching with interest, as - to be sure - is your government.

@jeddak your definition of a “healthy society” and that of many Singaporeans probably differ somewhat.

6 Likes

The Anthony Bourdain episode on Singapore had a one-liner which really put it simply.

“It doesn’t feel like it should work, does it? But it does somehow.”

6 Likes

Or they just give up and drown themselves in a fountain
https://interestingengineering.com/robot-security-guard-drowned-itself-driving-into-a-water-fountain

4 Likes

It’ll be OK until they start looking like Daleks.

6 Likes

How long until vigilantes take it upon themselves to dispose of robots and other “undesirable surveillance?”

2 Likes

(multiply by 3/4 to get US$)

I found Singapore to be strangely like NYC (where I grew up), in terms of size, population, cosmopolitan-ness, and wealth. I didn’t test out the legal system.

2 Likes

In Singapore? Probably never. Their attitude towards rules and regulations is very different to that.

A friend who lived there said that in a typical western country, when the government announces a new rule it’s a negotiation with the general public, and there’s a sizeable group that will always respond with “you can’t tell me what to do!” In Singapore, the government announces that society has a problem, and after much thought they’ve decided to fix the problem with the following rule. And the general public thinks about it and agrees.

Talking to Singaporeans outside Singapore, I didn’t detect any sense of frustration with the regimented society. Even after several drinks, no hidden bitterness or resentment welled up. They seem to feel that they’re part of a society whose structures agree with them.

3 Likes
3 Likes

So what is the LGBTQ+ community like, compared to NYC?

4 Likes

No. It’ll be ok until Daleks realise that looking like Singaporean robots is a better strategy.

7 Likes