Singapore is going to hang a man for possession of two lbs of weed

Is that all?

He’s lucky he wasn’t caught instead for spitting on the sidewalk.

8 Likes

Singapore, I am told, is a very beautiful place to visit. But very orderly and authoritarian.

I was pen pals for awhile with a CEO and Assistant of a toy company there, and they had a gorgeous golden retriever in the office named “AstroBoy” who at one point was a stray and adopted, but he wasn’t registered and they had to hide him from the authorities. I can’t recall why they couldn’t just get him registered, but evidently it wasn’t an option.

9 Likes

Capital punishment is a barbaric penalty for any offense, but this guy just exhibited literally fatal levels of stupidity.

10 Likes

So why then does the rest of the world continue to do business with Singapore?

4 Likes

Raining Money GIF by AppSumo

29 Likes

Singapore is a mostly neutral third party in a cross-roads like location. It serves as a place where people from different nations in the region can gather and negotiation deals without feeling like someone has the home turf advantage.

When you think about the types of people deciding to do business there think about the worst stereotypes of Wall Street or British aristocracy. Exactly the types a people that would love to have an authoritarian playground that keeps the unwashed masses in check. They would never spit, or chew gum, or do recreational drugs in public, so they are fine with those rules, they probably don’t apply to them anyways.

18 Likes

Yeah I guess I was really being rhetorical. But agreed

4 Likes

So, uh… what’s Singapore’s fucking problem, then? Clearly they want a very clean image and they have a draconian way of enforcing that, but they could easily still accomplish that without resorting to full-on murder, especially for something that’s objectively less harmful than littering or jaywalking.

7 Likes

If you’re lucky!
– signed, a former caning victim.

7 Likes

I guess, why does the world do business with China, the United States, the United Kingdom, Israel, Saudi Arabia, Russia, Hungary, Turkey, Phillipines, and any number of other countries that trample human rights to a greater or lesser extent? We could add to that countries that are patriarchical (Japan), etc, disrespectful of Indigenous people (Australia, Canada)… We could probably even find reasons to exclude Finland and Sweden if we looked hard enough. The global economy is so integrated that getting anything done on a large scale requires making deals with the devil.

As @milliefink points out, people love money, and if you love money it’s hard not to do business with any of these places. It would require a complete reordering of how the world works, and wouldn’t necessarily address the undesireable characteristics those countries have. There are more than enough corrupt, authoritarian countries that they would band together and keep themselves going.

I’m not saying sanctions or economic isolation have zero effect, but they always come with the hypocrisy tag - why is one regime worthy of sanction in the name of ethics and principals while another isn’t?

10 Likes

Can confirm. Been there several times and it’s a very bipolar place. Tolerant in some respects of things like business corruption but extremely authoritarian around public behaviors.

A nice place to visit as a foreigner but you couldn’t pay me enough to live there.

Unfettered capitalism

14 Likes

Wait… you @ed @milliefink, but I got a notification? Did you maybe change it?

5 Likes

Yes just caught it and edited.

8 Likes

Okay! Makes sense! Just wanted to make sure there wasn’t a weird glitch to report!

Im Out Amy Poehler GIF by FOX TV

11 Likes

See also Dubai. It’s a pretty rotten crowd of Westerners that frequents places like this.

10 Likes
4 Likes

Last time I was in Mexico at a resort, at the beach-side bar one evening a fellow Canuck said he’s leaving in the morning but still had a lot of weed left over, did I want it? Hauls out a big ziplock bag with about 20 pre-rolled joints. First reaction was bazinga! Second was to say good day sir and walk away.

I’ve got zero empathy for foreigners getting caught with drugs in these strict countries. Especially entitled types who go places with little respect for local customs or rules.

I saw all those delicious fatties I didn’t want to be anywhere near that fool. When I got to Mexico they looked into my backpack thoroughly, every seam and little crevice - if I had tried to sneak even an Aspirin they would have found it.

If I want to speed, smoke weed, or say disparaging things about government I’ll wait until I’m back on home soil. I watched Midnight Express.

6 Likes

Or desperation.

4 Likes

I’m still going to go with stupid as the base assumption. It’s weed. Two pounds of it in a package the size of a pineapple. Desperation implies trying to smuggle a more compact, more high-value, and/or more addictive/powerful controlled substance.

ETA: unless it’s this dude.

5 Likes

Sincere reality points.
Used to travel through Oklahoma in the 1990s. About the same thing. Pull over before the state line; check bag, check ashtray, check for crumbs on the floorboard.
Drugs in no-go zones aren’t funny.

8 Likes