Singer Alysha Brilla and sisters argue with police over right to ride bikes while shirtless

You don’t have to fight to go topless in Canada, so that’s not what she was doing.

1 Like

What you’re missing is that she was just riding her bike. Not looking for a cop, not walking up to a cop to make a scene. If she was a man, no one would have said a thing. But she’s a woman. And despite the law saying what she was doing was perfectly legal, she was stopped anyway.

It doesn’t matter that it’s not common for women to ride topless. It’s her choice, and clearly from the reaction she received, it’s still an issue when it shouldn’t be. (Especially when you decide her occupation is more important in this context than her gender, because you know, why would a woman CHOOSE to bike naked, right?) sighs

22 Likes

I missed the fact that she was stopped for singing.

6 Likes

The cop was probably worried for the girl’s safety and the possibly undue attention she may attract while on her ride.

Yes. They have the right to ride shirtless. ENNYWHERE!!!

1 Like

Wait, really? You think the cop believes only those with a low profile and don’t cause a stir should ride? What about attractive men and women? Should he pull them over too because they may cause drivers to look at them instead of the road? Or did you mean, as in your earlier comment, that the issue was she was a singer and may injure her voicebox somehow? Because you’ve gone from saying “she was possibly promoting herself” to “possibly the cop thought she was in danger / a danger”. Sounds to me like you’re looking for a reason to make what he did acceptable.

Or do you think, just maybe, that the cop wrongly thought it was illegal/indecent and should be retrained?

16 Likes

Oh no, you didn’t go there, did you?

18 Likes

This struck me as an oddity as well.

It may be relevant to note that it has been stinking hot and humid in Southern Ontario this week. I imagine many cyclists were wearing a little as they felt comfortable wearing when out.

4 Likes

The cop’s job is to stop criminals, not to stop women from looking attractive to potential criminals.

32 Likes

Although, he might be onto something. If you made sure all women were completely covered every time they went outside, they would be totally safe from the uncontrollable desires of men.

It seems like a great idea, I wonder if its been tried anywhere, and how its working out?

30 Likes

Perhaps not surprisingly that is the SECOND reason this story makes me want to move to Canada…

4 Likes

Nope. The first two things…as stated.

High resolution, well lighted pics or it didn’t happen.

4 Likes

Yes she was, according to their account of events before anyone had time to whip out a recording device, the cop stopped them, advised them to put their shirts on, and stated that was the law.

Since there is no reason to question the unrecorded version of events, I don’t need to.

Why do you mistrust her motivation, and presumably her version of events, because of her choice to pursue a singing career? Where is the bar, sorry, I know where that is, I’ll ask where is Your bar for allowing a public person the benefit of the doubt with regard to the words that come out of their mouths?

8 Likes

Actually their job is to keep the peace.

Hi orenwolf -

I agree and you make several of the points I was I was about to comment.

Anyway - this was at night and in the summer - no one was around - just a late PM or early AM bike ride. Maybe there was a dare involved - whatever. They are siblings after-all. Me? I’m a man with a lowish body-mass-index - I don’t have and never have had boobs.

Women (and men) with ample bosoms I’ve had the conversation with find going topless in the heat - especially when it’s humid - to be very comfortable. Reasons include lower body temperature (large breasts have a substantial surface area), less chaffing, and less boob-itch (like jock-itch.) From the descriptions - it seems like people with breasts find going topless in the heat more comfortable & practical than those of us with smaller or no breasts. They’re just boobs - big dealio. (Take a picture it’ll last longer.)

Why did the cop detain them?

Could it be…

BOOOOBIES!!!

(or…bitte)

1 Like

By enforcing the law. And this cop failed in that fundamental aspect.

8 Likes

Can any Canadians elucidate why it was considered unlawful for women to go shirtless prior to 1991? Did somebody in the past make a case that this would help people somehow?

I have to confess that my clicking on this post was not for entirely honorable reasons.

1 Like