Singer/songwriter Mark Lanegan, RIP

Originally published at: Singer/songwriter Mark Lanegan, RIP | Boing Boing

4 Likes
1 Like

Like I said elsewhere. Our Ugly Sunday Mornings will be Sunday mournings. R.I.P. Mark Lanegan and thousands thanks for the brooding voice.

Two faves from him solo, years apart…

Unfortunately I can’t find the excellent video…

6 Likes

I was privileged to see him and his band in Seattle by pure chance, when I was passing through a few years ago. In retrospect it seemed his band had something of a meltdown on stage; I had no idea and thoroughly enjoyed the whole show. I also got his signature on a book of his poetry afterwards, which I still treasure.

A truly soulful artist. He will be missed, and I am also selfishly glad I was able to enjoy his art and flavor while we both shared air.

2 Likes

The best QotSA song, imo, is Hanging Tree, and Lanegan’s performance is what cliches it for me. He was an artist through and through. Rip.

8 Likes

Gutting to wake up to this news. Mark was one of the greats, totally unique and irreplaceable. I had the good fortune to chat with him briefly outside Oran Mor in Glasgow many years ago when he was touring with the Twilight Singers (his shows with them were incredible), and he seemed really chill. I was expecting a brush-off when I approached but no, he was just a regular friendly guy. RIP my good man.

3 Likes

I had just finished his autobio a few months ago. A rough read. RIP. I was floored from this one off of one of his recent solo albums. Two Bells Ringing At Once - YouTube

2 Likes

Well shit. A great from my college years, and at the same time not much older than me … RIP to an unmistakably fantastic and unique voice.

1 Like

Hell to the yes.
It’s one of the best songs sung by Lanegan I tried in vain to have my local karaoke bar integrate it into the roster.

2 Likes

I turned on KEXP for my commute home and heard four straight Lanegan songs before the DJ came on. But I’d figured it out by then. Anybody interested, they’re going hard with it all day, so tune in Playlist.

4 Likes

Like the platonic ideal of a Lee Hazelwood song.

2 Likes

Here is a list of the first of I’m sure many best of lists of his work…

4 Likes

Awwww no…

1 Like

They’re not wrong, this is a pretty great list. I’d have chosen several different songs from the solo albums they chose, and leaving Queens of the Stone Age off was a big oversight, but ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.