Six characters in search of a loophole

Continuing the discussion from Ten untranslatable words:

Bof.

('nuff said!)

Okay, NOT 'nuff said.

We can get around the six-character limitation with the strategic deployment of HTML character-entities - including, but perhaps not limited to,   and ­.

NOTE: ­ is a soft-hypen; it will render if the enclosing text can span a line-break.

NOTE: This technique does not work in topic titles, which render the entities as plain-text. See QUEST for ALL CAPS TOPIC TITLES for more.

There are some other entities that might be worth exploring:

emsp   em space
thinsp thin space
zwnj   zero-width non-joiner
zwj    zero-width joiner
lrm    left-to-right mark
rlm    right-to-left mark```
4 Likes

:thumbsup:

2 Likes

win!

mnemonic device:

and now, blank-space post. semi-colon.

this is something you came up with or is this an old trick?

It may be an old think, but I figured it out on my own when Bgaji couldn’t post Bof. I remember running into the barrier myself, and thought about the   trick – which I regularly use to get empty paragraphs for extra “time/space” padding in a post.

Eventually, I wondered what would happen if NOTHING but    was the body of the post… YEP! The algorithm checks the character-count of the post source, not the character-count of the post render.

Another mnemonic is Non-Breaking-SPace, which is the name of the HTML entity which it is.

1 Like

No. 

1 Like

https://twitter.com/WhitespaceBot

(L’espace, c’est moi.)

1 Like

Interesting!

I’m curious what the images are–are they of any significance, or just something random because it was not allowed to be left blank? (On my screen, the profile image looks like a gold/white plaid or grid/table of some sort; the header image seems like a map of some sort…both very faint but can be seen better if the screen is tilted enough.) Care to tell?

Profile image is a white square, or so I thought. Breast is if a monochrome canvas somebody painted.

True story: each tweet is exactly 140 characters - two quotes and 138 whitespace chars of various kinds.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 879 days. New replies are no longer allowed.