#BbsHacks

#Tips-n-tricks-n-titbits

1. Post methods of doing things on the BBS that aren’t always obvious
  2. ???
  3. PROFIT!!!
1 Like

If you make a thread-title a single word, and start it with a hash (#) - any post you drop into the thread will show up as a backlink – and look as though it’s been category-tagged???

4 Likes

You can escape a list by putting a backslash in front of the period.

For instance:

`3. Test
2. Test

1. Test`

2. Test

3. Test

4. Test

3\. Test 2\. Test 1\. Test

3. Test
2. Test
1. Test

6 Likes

“Post must be at least six characters.”

And those characters can be  

That’s an important thing you learned when you first learned HTML back during the Bad Times of tables and non-standard browsers (and we had to walk to school uphill both ways in the snow in July.)

13 Likes

You can use HTML code where asterisks and underscores don’t work:

I said any*thing*, not any*one*.

I said any_thing_, not any_one_.

I said any<em>thing</em>, not any<i>one</i>.

I said anything, not anyone.

I said any_thing_, not any_one_.

I said anything, not anyone.

14 Likes

You can also escape the asterisk and underscore by preceding it with a backslash:

Unescaped asterisks italicize the output, and so does underscore for some reason.

But escaped asterisks *show* the control codes in the output, as does escaping an _underscore_.

6 Likes

One asterisk is for italics, two asterix are for bold. Three is for both italic and bold simultaneously.

7 Likes

And ditto for underscores.

3 Likes

Ha! Learn something new every day! Cool!

9 Likes

[spoiler]
testing why spoiler isn’t working for me
[/Spoiler]

1 Like

It worked.

You can strike out text like this by surrounding the text with [s] and [/s].

@OtherMichael, how do you make the super gigantic text. I need to SHOUT at someone!

2 Likes

Thanks, eventually I figured out I was using < spoiler > instead of [spoiler]. It’s the dumb things that are so frustrating.

3 Likes

#You put a hash - # at the beginning of the line.

more Hashes = more lessly important

3 Likes

#THANK YOU!#

12 Likes

Here’s a good BBs hack, you can make certain people slightly teary eyed by posting images or videos from Hayao Miyazaki movies. Especially “My Neighbor Totoro.”

http://66.90.91.26/ost/my-neighbor-totoro-original-soundtrack/ruvqlkzojt/12-maigo.mp3

[details=A few bonus songs for anyone who wanted more:]http://66.90.91.26/ost/my-neighbor-totoro-original-soundtrack/gjnryglcqr/05-yuugure-no-kaze.mp3
http://66.90.91.26/ost/my-neighbor-totoro-original-soundtrack/cpdbojiboy/11-tsukamori-no-taiju.mp3[/details]

9 Likes

Slightly?

2 Likes

#***IS THIS RIGHT?! AM I DOING IT?***

##Maybe?

###I think so.

######i really hope so…

yay! I did!

5 Likes

How do you quote a comment that you think will be eaten so that your quote doesn’t disappear?

#Testing

######Testing

#######Done testing. This is the smallest, with six hashes.

#Hello

< big >
#Hello
< /big >
Ok, this is weird. Paging @codinghorror. I can barely describe what is even happening right now… the text is showing up larger in the preview than it does in the actual comment, this is what it looks like in the preview:

Highlight and quote in your reply.

But you’re still small shouting, you didn’t < s m a l l> it

1 Like