Six-year-old brought a loaded gun to school for show-and-tell

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/05/six-year-old-brought-a-loaded.html

5 Likes

TO CLARIFY FURTHER: lock up the firearms, not the children.

42 Likes

Lay off, he was just prepared to stop a bad show-and-teller with a gun.

15 Likes

Either way works.

9 Likes

To be fair, I bet it made the kid who went next feel pretty bad about her weak-ass LOL doll.

10 Likes

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/006/759/both.jpg

If A Christmas Story was made today I bet that scene showing the teacher’s drawer full of confiscated items would look a little different.

christmas-story-drawer-gun

17 Likes

And more importantly, lock up your UNLOADED firearms, and if possible, keep ammunition locked separately from the gun!

But common sense, nah, overrated!

14 Likes

Pretty sure a lack of a trigger guard makes that gun completely illegal for anyone to own.

I’m having trouble finding a reference for that specific issue, but a .22 derringer is pretty much a curiosity designed for children to maim or kill each other with (too small of a round to rely upon for self-defense, too small of a gun to have any sort of reliable marksmanship).

There’s absolutely no reason to keep one in your home, let alone with ammunition, let alone loaded.

6 Likes

Once when I was about fifteen I saw a toy gun on my (ex-marine) step father’s bedside table. I was going to pick it up and play with it when I realized that it was a cheap real gun. I was fifteen. I could have killed somebody.

4 Likes

Damn, I expected this to be in Florida.

4 Likes

But then only criminals will have a well armed militia of children. /s

13 Likes

Ok but this was in Roswell.

Can we just chalk this up to an unfortuate incident and consider most of the US west of the Mississippi lucky that kid got his hands on an old revolver and not an Illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator?

14 Likes

NRA lawyers are working frantically to ascertain the tone of the child’s skin, in order to craft the appropriate response. Were this 6 year old’s Second Amendment rights violated, or is the child merely a thug?

15 Likes

evolve-balloons

23 Likes

Checks map, notes event took place in USA

Checks calendar, notes name of day ends in “Y”

Why is this news?

/s

5 Likes

Responsible law abiding gun owner parents I bet. :wink:

Seriously, liability insurance should be mandatory for all firearms. This way people think about twice about leaving the gun in a sock drawer where Little Timmy will find it and kill himself and playmates. Much like it does with car insurance for people who would normally avoid wearing seatbelts.

9 Likes

In their minds they probably envision using the gun to defend their family from prowlers who break in with no warning, meaning that the gun must be locked and loaded at all times and kept in easy reach.

Obviously in real life the pros and cons of that risk assessment usually don’t work out the way they do in the gun owners’ imaginations.

11 Likes

If you have children in your house and insist on keeping firearms around, lock them the fuck up.

But then how can you conveniently show off your collection to visitors, or pretend to be an action hero, or defend your home and family from marauders?

8 Likes