Sixth great-grandson of Thomas Jefferson re-creates his presidential portrait

Is yours not Python? It looks like Python, though I guess technically you can’t concatentate lists to strings.

3 Likes

Yeah mine is python but I was looking to return a list. I just tried yours in python and I see now that its an application of string formatting. Thanks for that, I didn’t know you could do that.

4 Likes

No problem! Format strings are great. Not quite as cool as list comprehensions, but still great.

3 Likes

While we’re doing sidetracks: what’s with the phrase “direct descendant”? Is there a way to be someone’s descendant involving a bank shot or something?

5 Likes

I assume it’s to make clear he’s descended from Thomas Jefferson himself and not Jefferson’s brother or something. You’d think that would be a given, but it seems that the word has acquired a looser meaning:

descendant
noun
uk /dɪˈsen.dənt/ us /dɪˈsen.dənt/
a person who is related to you and who lives after you, such as your child or grandchild

Which would cover a great-great-…-great-nephew.

4 Likes

A fitting portrait for the 4th of July.

My we some day live up to the ideals in Jefferson’s words:

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

7 Likes

That new portrait looks really good. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

What a handsome man. Original TJ: ugly as a rock. New SLN portrait? mwah PERFECTO!

3 Likes

Also presumably a biological descendant as opposed to an adoptee or descendant of an adoptee.

3 Likes

Obligatory:

Thomas Motherf—in’ Jefferson!

6 Likes

Lol yup exactly what I was gonna reply, right down to the letter!

1 Like

Descendants of Frederick Douglass read extracts from his speech “What to the Slave is the Fourth of July?”:

3 Likes

As much as I like these types of stories, the reality is that for this guy, Jefferson was just one of his 128 g-g-g-g-g-g-grandfathers, and he has hundreds if not thousands of cousins who can claim the same connection.

And? I can’t make that claim. I do claim to be descended from Laird Dufuss of the Scottish Dufusses, with somewhat greater distance but no less pride! :wink:

4 Likes

On a slight tangent: I happen to be an 8th generation direct descendant of a certain notable British Explorer. (great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandson) Is there an ‘official’ way of collapsing down all those ‘greats’? (outside of using ‘8th generation direct descendant’, that is, unless that’s the official way of doing it.)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.