Skimping $4MM caused the Millennium Tower's increasing problems

Originally published at: Skimping $4MM caused the Millennium Tower's increasing problems | Boing Boing

3 Likes

“For want of a nail, a shoe was lost…”

23 Likes

Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow.

10 Likes

Cheaping out is the most expensive thing you can do.

20 Likes

“Penny wise, pound foolish”

if we’re keeping with the aphorism theme for the thread

16 Likes

More, “for a hap’porth of tar the ship was lost”.

13 Likes

“A stitch in time saves nine.”

9 Likes

Skimp today, cry tomorrow.

Wisdom from my Dear Woodshop Teacher, from times of yore…

8 Likes

They should count themselves lucky that the building isn’t in an earthquake-prone zone like San Francisco.

[handed memo by offscreen presence]

21 Likes

What, a builder cutting corners? Next you’ll be telling me they’re sometimes late delivering on their promises.

13 Likes

This whole things is just crying out for a HGTV style renovation show. The Good Bones ladies should tackle it.

6 Likes

Although that pertains more to an already damaged item, so what they should’ve heeded is the old, “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”

5 Likes

ThE fOoTiNgS wOuLd Be UnDeRgRoUnD sO nO oNe WiLl EvEr KnOw

3 Likes

What is $4MM? Four million million dollars (i.e. four billion) is a lot of money. Or is this hybrid roman numerals (M=1000, $4MM=$4 x 2000=$8000). Or do you mean a stack of dollars 4 millimeters thick?

7 Likes

I also thought that format looked weird and although it’s less common than the $4M format that normal people use, the double-M format is apparently used a lot in accounting documents.

8 Likes

If only there was some kind of notation to allow us to communicate numbers in a more scientific fashion…

4 Likes

It’s a weird convention that means 4 thousand thousands, aka 4,000,000.

7 Likes

He, and you, are correct in saying I am correct. He is just trying to make it sound wrong and for some reason you want it to be obscure.

6 Likes

I do? News to me.

I do however, think it is a weird convention, and a bad one to use outside of accounting since an M can also mean million.

5 Likes

It may not look like much, but it’ll do the kessel run in less than12 parsecs

3 Likes