”Slash Resistant” portable safe easily slashed, by the Lockpicking Lawyer

I prefer nosepicking lawyers.

Maybe the safe-makers have a (n older, less-active) dog named Slash

2 Likes

Oh man, you might have started a “best way to sharpen” war…

In my experience, the CRKT uses a hard stainless (AUS 8, similar to 440 Stainless) which is more difficult to get super sharp, but lasts awhile once you do get it sharp enough.

That is unusual.

M16-02Z Tanto Though if I had to do it over again, I think I’d get a spear point vs a tanto point. It is harder to sharpen.

I guess, but how else are you going to test a slash resistant bag with out a knife? May as well use your regular pocket knife.

But yeah, he piggy backs items for sale onto his videos. He now has a site up that sells lock picking supplies, and so jiggler picks, bump keys, and turning tools are often featured with links. Also that tubular lock pick that he and Bosnian Bill designed. (I think that is the same one.) So I am not gonna fault the guy for branching out. It is an internet fact that when someone shows off a cool knife, a certain percentage of people will want one too. So may as well make some money with an affiliate link.

Speaking of his website, FWIW, I really like these turning tools, though I got them from another site. They are so much sturdier than the ones that came with my cheap, but serviceable Chinese kit. He actually reviewed the type of kit I have, and he said they were decent, but recommended sanding them to get the burrs/edges off from the stamping. But the turning tools were weak and flexed too much to my liking The longhorn tools are much nicer!

I am just a goofball hobbyist who is trash, but good enough to get my locked Boba Fett display case I lost the key to to open . Someday I might get a nicer pick set.

https://covertinstruments.com/collections/lockpicks/products/longhorn-turning-tooks

2 Likes

It is but one of the reasons why i got it was because it has a beefy thick spine so its good for prying and taking general abuse, and i liked the look of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Given the advertising / product claims, I hope he sent it back to Amazon in that condition and demanded his money back. I mean, they could hardly refuse - there’s no defence, is there.

1 Like

Well, the bag did resist slashing, as would, for example, a piece of string, so no false advertising. :wink:

For cut resistance, this company gives Dyneema (UHMW fibre, aka Spectra ) a slight edge over Kevlar, mainly because of Dyneema’s slipperyness.

However, despite Dyneema’s reputation for being difficult to cut, I’ve spliced quite a bit of it, and I can cut it readily with a Swiss army knife (which I now hesitate to refer to as my EDC — it’s just this thing I carry, uh, regularly).

There are companies making bags and backpacks with embedded steel cable, and I think that’s probably the only way to make them at least somewhat resistant to theft.

https://www.amazon.com/Pacsafe-Metrosafe-Anti-Theft-Travel-Backpack/dp/B017BPMV12/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=pacsafe+backpack&qid=1619720802&sr=8-2

2 Likes

“It’s almost worthless as a security device,” he says, slicing through it like a cucumber.

4 Likes

Someone tried unsuccessfully to slash the cable-reinforced strap of my Metrosafe cross-body bag at the Spanish Steps in 2009, and barely nicked it. I could have easily had it replaced, since it was still under warranty, but decided to keep it as a sort of badge of honor.

4 Likes

One of the Amazon reviews shows it being cut open with a butter knife.

2 Likes

I’d want to see the sort of material used that’s also used in cut-resistant gloves, which is either Kevlar or Spectra with fine stainless steel wire woven in, along with a hard shell on the outside of the main case, pretty much like Pelican gun and equipment cases. I have one of their Peli sport wallets, which are absolutely slash-proof, however that needs to be also true of whatever tether or lanyard you use - it’s pretty slippery and can easily slip out of a pocket that isn’t really secure, as I’ve found with mine!

1 Like

I like the LPL, but yeah, I definitely get those vibes - EDC, guns, his kinda sexist April Fool’s gags. Little things that make me think he’s a conservative prepper-type who takes himself a little too seriously. But he does have talent, which is why I watch. Also to avoid crappy locks masquerading as high security.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.