Sledge Hammer! A hilarious, prescient warning on police violence from the 1980s

PS Sorry for derailing a Sledge Hammer post with Dredd topics.

I truly truly loved that short-lived series at the time (appointment viewing as a kid), and re-watched the whole lot back to back when I found them on Youtube a year or two ago.
Many of the gems (one-liners and throw-away gags) still shine, even though the 80s pacing now looks a little jaded.
Right up there with Max Headroom. (oops, further derailment ahead)

1 Like

2 Likes

Reminded me of Police Squad / The Naked Gun:

Mayor: Drebin, I don’t want anymore trouble like you had last year on the South Side. Understand? That’s my policy.
Frank: Yes. Well, when I see 5 weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of the park in full view of 100 people, I shoot the bastards. That’s my policy.
Mayor: That was a Shakespeare-In-The-Park production of “Julius Caesar”, you moron! You killed 5 actors! Good ones.

3 Likes

The creator, Alan Spencer, has a really cool story:

5 Likes

Also, Sledge never kills anyone, the closest he comes is when he blows up a building that is supposed to have the sniper in it. I have the DVD version. The network bounced it all over their schedule.

Prescient warning…? Does BB think there was no police violence in the 1980s?

Suddenly I have a hankering to go and watch Superjail.

Sweet unconditional incarceration for all!

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be. The world's gone crazy and it ain't safe on the street. It's a drag I know, But there's only one place to go. I'm coming home Oh yeah I'm coming home.
1 Like

I thought I was the only one who remembered this show! Too funny, way ahead of its time in some ways, and sad it only lasted two seasons.

in case you missed it : )

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.