Slot car catastrophe caught on video

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/13/slot-car-catastrophe-caught-on-video.html

3 Likes

Not a slot car set.

24 Likes

Hotwheels, right? The mistake was in the original post, not Mark’s error. Impressive speed, That little sports car might have gone into orbit had the ceiling not been there.

ETA thoughts and prayers to the imaginary occupants.

16 Likes

Perfect. Thanks.

2 Likes

Do they really go fast enough to get driven into drywall? If so how do they stay on the track on curves?

Kinda wonder if this is real.

1 Like

500px-Slot_Car_Heaven

15 Likes

Note the battery holder with 3 Li-Ion cells on the floor. Probably running at least twice the stock voltage.

9 Likes

Also specifically configured to shorten the distance to the accelerator box as much as possible to prevent loss of momentum before the next hit. You’d never get this speed using hot wheels drive box as intended, but they managed to build a cyclotron, basically. I’m impressed.

12 Likes

A battery-powered make-Hot-Wheel-go-fast thingie was one of the best presents I ever got as a kid.

5 Likes

So you’re saying these aren’t stock cars?

I’ll see myself out.

14 Likes

I remember slot car stores, with big tracks for racing in the sixties. Maybe they’ve retro’ed back in a couple times without me noticing?

5 Likes

This is why I don’t love drywall. I get that hand plaster is a beast to install, but I don’t get why people are so enthusiastic to rip it out from a house that already has it just to install flimsy drywall…

1 Like

4 Likes

IIRC, this was a supercharger when I was a kid, but that didn’t look anything like this. I had a ton of Hot Wheels.

6 Likes

Forget SpaceX, I’m investing in this.

4 Likes

Mine looked like this:

9 Likes

That was mine!

Plus another one that was battery powered.

I’m assuming the plaster on my ceiling is just slathered onto laths (if it’s original, if so it was put up in 1870-something), and I’m pretty sure that car would have done a fair amount of damage. If if didn’t find a gap between the laths, it would probably dislodge a whole chunk of plaster onto the floor.
Plaster board (as we call dry wall over here) is fine, and it’s at least as good as 150-year old plaster put up by contractors, who I’m sure cut just as many corners as their modern comrades.

Exactly - that’s it. I wish I still had my old case of hot wheels from back then. I think many of them were from the first “generation”. They cost $1 each, and each car came with a metal badge, shaped like a tire with an image of the car on the wheel. I think those old cars would be worth something today, but most of them were pretty banged up - we played with them hard and like to stage car crashes.

1 Like

Mine didn’t have that. I got to play with the originals.
My tire shaped case held 12 I think. It was the 60’s.

1 Like