Slow blinking to a cat is a way of saying "I Trust/Love You"

Now you all are just catfishing!

8 Likes

Well, it’s true that catfish will bite on just about anything.

4 Likes
5 Likes

Fair enough…I am human.

Agreed. The best way is to keep your cat indoors. As an added benefit, it makes them less likely to be killed by larger urban predators like coyotes, raccoons, and cars.

13 Likes

And don’t get diseases such as FeLV, FIV, Sporotrichosis and so on.

5 Likes

The implication therein being… ?

2 Likes

Daniel Radcliffe GIF by Madman Films

7 Likes

scientifically correct or just anthropomorphism and human projection onto an animal aside, i have heard this for, like, ever(?)
mum calls it “squeeze eyes” and has since i was little. obviously no scientist nor veterinarianary genius, she always said “squeeze eyes” meant kitty loves you.
so i squeeze kitty back to tell her i love her. she runs away.

11 Likes

Me and the cats have been blinking at each other for years. It’s kind of fun.

He’s also not wrong.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-73426-0

I also disagree about Jackson, he gets information out there that helps cat owners wade through their cat’s behavior. Every time I’ve seen his show the first thing he does is tell the owners to see a vet to rule out a medical condition as the reason the cat is acting the way it does. In my opinion his results give him credibility.

Matter of opinion if anyone wants to take his advice, my opinion is he helps people and presents information in a way that people can understand and if it means someone keeps a cat and tries instead of getting rid of the cat than that’s a good thing.

6 Likes

we trained our cat to accept a leash and she goes for walks with us. She doesn’t go far but still gives her some outside time.

5 Likes

12 Likes

squeeze eyes!

11 Likes

8 Likes

Me, too! I first read it in a novel. The author called it a “cat kiss.” I love it. Squeeze eyes is good, too.
Whether it’s simply human projection or not, I get the warm fuzzies when a kitty gives me the slow blink. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Unlike purring, which is sometimes a stress response, I’ve only ever seen the slow blink when they’re feeling safe and contented.
For anyone interested, Desmond Morris has a couple nice older books translating cat behavior. Cat Watching is the one I remember, but I know there’s another.

12 Likes

More interesting than Anthropomorphism, in my opinion is the reverse: When we use the behavior of animals to get a smudgy, circus mirror look at our own non-rational behavior.

2 Likes

isn’t this an emoji

:smile_cat:

he’s a doctor of emojiology

5 Likes

It was also humorously referenced in the title of the 1942 Warner Brothers cartoon Fin’n Catty, directed by Chuck Jones,

(I would never have caught the reference except a family I know has Finnan haddie for Christmas Eve supper.)

4 Likes

Also featured in Raiders of the Lost Ark:

7 Likes

Right? It’s not like they KNOW that they are responsible for killing so many birds, collectively, as a species… it’s not like they get together and make plans to do so… I mean, they ARE planning on taking the planet back over and become the dominant species again, but that’s only if they can get 1000 cats onboard with that!

Our kitty is completely an indoor cat and has been all her life!

Spot On Doctor Who GIF by BBC America

8 Likes

Pay no attention to this clearly fictional and made up scenario, fellow humans. Cats are cute, fuzzy and have no evil intentions, that’s for sure.

9 Likes