Why do cats "slow blink" at people

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/15/why-do-cats-slow-blink-at.html

20 Likes

That about sums it up.

68 Likes

He’s just very polite!

26 Likes

Not only does my Ruby slow blink, but she taps my forearm when she wants something, and also grooms me like I’m another cat.

39 Likes

Potato plays ‘Peek-a-boo/Red-light, Green-light’; if I catch her attention then repeatedly obscure my face from her sight, she inches closer and closer, like she’s stalking me.

36 Likes

48 Likes

I’ve read that grooming is a show of status, with the cat doing the grooming being the one of higher position. Sounds like Ruby is a good kitty and knows who’s in charge.

23 Likes

I had one cat that would ninja groom other cats by pouncing on them, pinning them down and grooming the shit out of them. He definitely was in charge.

29 Likes

Yes, it’s a greeting. But not like you think. You’re supposed to reciprocate.

22 Likes

Is your cat Japanese? If so, it might be a maneki neko or perhaps even a hello kitty.

24 Likes

He’s saying “Bend over. I can’t reach your artery from here.”

10 Likes

My cats used to lick my eyelids to wake me up. So cute. Or painful and horrible. Possibly both!?!?

17 Likes

Slow blinking is not so much an expression of trust as an announcement of trust, much like an announcement of an alliance. The cat is signalling that it’s relaxed and that you should be relaxed, too or there might be trouble.

23 Likes

The eye squeeze is as close as a cat gets to blowing kisses.
Certainly a declaration of affection greater than “I don’t fear you”.

17 Likes

I interpret it to mean the connection has been validated, your soul has been updated and you have the potential to be a nicer living creature (if only to him or her) for the foreseeable future.

9 Likes

My last cat Junko used to not only slow blink at me, but also suck on my clothes near my armpit whilst padding, like she was trying to milk me.

And I let her, because I enjoyed it

13 Likes

We had a big dopey M-head tabby who was always giving us the paw, so I started giving him the paw back. He’s been gone many years, but Mrs. Lindsay and I still give each other the paw.

16 Likes

Cats only hate rival cats. They are capable of despising dogs and people. They love their staff and also mice!

We always look for the blinky eyes from our cats, and reciprocate.

11 Likes

fist-bump cat

35 Likes

Because they can’t roll their eyes.

14 Likes