Why do cats "slow blink" at people

I always figured it was to cede victory to me in the perpetual stare down.

5 Likes

our cats slow-blink at us, and i’ve long heard this is the reason. so i slow blink back at them, when i catch them doing it to me. might as well respond to them in a way they understand.

our cats also have what we’ve decided is a nervous tic – whenever you catch their eye when they are not necessarily expecting it, they will both quickly lick their nose. i find it adorable.

22 Likes

I discovered the slow blink when I was a wee lad… and that it’s reciprocal. I noticed if I met my cat’s eyes, slowly closed my eyes then opened them, the cat would have closed their eyes too. “hello i am not a threat 2 u, if ur not a threat 2 me blink back k thx”

24 Likes

my gf’s cat is a rescue and sleeps with its eyes open. What does that indicate?

2 Likes

That cat doesn’t sleep. It just waits.

18 Likes

Samara the cat

3 Likes

C’mon, be honest. The real reason cat’s expose their belly? To lure you in to attempt to pet it their belly, whereupon they can sink all four sets of claws into your hand.

13 Likes

ugh gawd save me from the guy who taps me in the arm pit when I’m at the computer and stands there quietly until I look down and he meows a polite greeting. its like he is saying “excuse me sir”. aaaaaargh

(thats my cat named Spot, the tuxedo’d narc frat boy of the three I have)

5 Likes

Yup, that’s the reason, and we should also slow blink at them sometimes to make them more comfortable.

4 Likes

It’s the old good cop, bad cop tactic.

4 Likes

I don’t know… but you may not want to stick around to find out the hard way. :wink:

1 Like

I have detached earlobes, and our family cat when I was a teen used to nurse on them like a kitten.

9 Likes

Mine did the armpit thing, but no padding. I think she just like the saltiness of my 'pit sweat.

(TMI, I know, in my defense I was freelancing from home at the time, personal hygiene was, ahem, secondary)

2 Likes

1: The original story is at Inverse; the BB link is to a third-party repost.

2: What’s that image credit?

Image: Jumpstory / CC0

‘Jumpstory’ is a StackSocial (provider of the BB Store…) stock photography subscription scheme (not scam; I didn’t say scam) offering “Unlimited Access to 25 Million+ Professional Visuals”.

‘CC0’ indicates the image is in the public domain. So Jumpstory has no claim over it?

It’s a sign of acknowledgement. Think of it as a mix of them greating you and accepting your presence.

2 Likes

That’s the flooftrap:

21 Likes

You mean you like, keep them in your pocket? :crazy_face:

5 Likes

He just wants your money

10 Likes

Exactly. I’ve heard the slow blink called a “cat kiss.”
Desmond Morris published a couple books, Catwatching was one, that describe the reasons behind a bunch of cat behavior. Reading them has made living with cats even more enjoyable than it was previously.
One example: tail swishing is often a sign that the cat is trying to make a decision. So when I’m petting a kitty and the tail starts swishing I assume it’s deciding, “do I like this or should I draw blood?” I proceed with caution.

12 Likes

One of my cats is an earlobe sucker. She did it as a kitten and never grew out of it. It’s cute, but the slobber can leave a real mess on my shirt.

4 Likes