Why do cats "slow blink" at people

Slow blink is the opposite of no blink.
It’s what the REALLY bad guys do.

The guys with the fat white cats.

We call it the Ryuuko Trap. 30% of the time he wants a belly pet. 30% he wants to lure you in and attack. The last 40% he wants both.
If he slow blinks me and I slow blonk back, he gets up and asks for cuddles. If I want him to come over and he doesn’t after I call to him, he usuallly will if I follow up with two slow blinks.
The other orange one meows at me if I return a slow blink. Like a soft inquisitive meow.
The third will exchange one slow blink and then ignore me.

11 Likes

All of my cats have appreciated a good, reciprocated squint. Three (at different times in my life) have liked it so much, they’d purr and/or flop over immediately, as well, doing what I call the “love worm” on their side or back (purr loudly, squirm and stretch, repeat) =).

One of those three, notably, would even act as if I was giving her the best scritch ever, if I did “Magic Fingers” at her; so happy, she went a little loopy o.o’ . She was half-Siamese and utterly brilliant.

10 Likes

We have three cats, but no floof-traps. Each were 3-4 weeks old when they came home, and we just pet them everywhere, with special focus on toes and bellies. The eldest wants head and belly skritches when he stretches waaaay out, Jan Brady (not his real name) won’t admit to liking the belly skritch (but has the bestest floof) yet never traps, and the youngest flops over for a head and belly skritch whenever you call her “cute kitty”.

With this lot, slow blink contests leads to sleeping kittehs. Guess we’re serving them to their satisfaction?

14 Likes

Do Not Touch The Belly Spot. Seriously.

Look at the floof! Rub the floof! No, not that much! (runs away)

12 Likes

Cats are very smart and perceptive and learn their communication cues from us. My 14 year old, Persephone, enjoys napping by my laptop’s side. A couple of years ago I was on a deadline and put my headphones so my husband tapped my shoulder when he needed to interrupt my work. Job delivered, some time after he’s working with his headphones on and he feels a tap on his shoulder. It was Persephone. She learned that when a human is using ear thingies and is using the warm machine you tap their shoulders to ask for attention.

18 Likes

I grew up with cats my whole life. It wasn’t until later when the internet was ubiquitous I started reading about cat body language - and realised I’d been “mirroring” some of this body language with cats my whole life without realising. It kinda makes sense to me now why other people find cats aloof and emotionless whereas I and many other cats owners are just like “huh? What on earth gives you that idea”

14 Likes

4 Likes

Someone needs to replace the fighters in the background with floofy bellies.

9 Likes

Maybe your cat knows about Maneki-neko?

2 Likes

" If cats looked like frogs , we’d realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style–that’s what people remember." – Terry Pratchett.

7 Likes

I’m not sure I’d agree with nasty, but definitely stylish.

17 Likes

My cat licked my lips once when I was asleep and I punched her decently hard in the face. It wasn’t intentional; I just had my fist up near my face and it was a reflex. She has never done that since.

2 Likes

Cats are so smart. We got a rescue kitten and he was so so so tiny and we had him closed in to one room with the kitty litter for the first few days while he got used to the surroundings. End of 2nd day he got out and we couldn’t figure out how. I brought him back in and sat with him and watched him climb up the bed (he was so small he couldn’t jump up to the top of the bed) go to the edge and jump off at the door handle a few times until it unlatched and he was free.

9 Likes

Our cat was/is hostile, so I had to show him who’s boss when he was young by giving him a good chase around the house whenever he swatted me (just chase, no touch). My husband was reluctant to do the same.

So now I’m the dominant one and our cat hurls himself to the floor with all four paws in the air around me when he wants tummy rubs, with endless slow blinks, purring, and no retaliation whatsoever. My husband, however, gets hissed at, finger licked, and beaten up at kitty’s whims.

6 Likes

Ha! Persephone is a Houdini cat too. She opens any door that isn’t keyed. Latches and knobs and sliding doors, she opens them all. And she cries like you are in mortal danger if she can’t open the door to be with you.

11 Likes

My current cat, Isabel (3 yr old pound kitty) is the coy hider of AMAZING belly floof. If I get her totally in a lovey mood, I’ll fuzzle her belly and she licks my hand every so often. If I can get that train rolling, she’ll happily take the lovin’s until she passes out and drools all over me xD .

Notably, there are few things funnier than a cat that just realized it’s been drooling. Laff riot, every time.

I mean, just LOOK at that quality fuzz! Not just a sweetie, she likes literally every human she has met.

9 Likes

the way some cats expose their bellies to their humans, which signals trust and vulnerability.

HAH! That is not trust! It’s a TRAP!
That is the “tummy trap”, much like a Venus Flytrap blossom and if you touch it, the trap closes with spine-tipped appendages that drag your hand to the waiting fangs.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.