Slow-Lit is a genre of stories designed to put people to sleep

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/02/slow-lit-is-a-genre-of-stories.html

2 Likes

Slow-Lit is a genre of stories designed to people to sleep

I think we’re missing a verb…

6 Likes

Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series.

7 Likes

Zoning regulations.

4 Likes

Any Art History textbook.

2 Likes

“Blast?”

Ah. No. It’s been added. “Put”. How (yawn) relaxing.

I would think having a phone book soothingly read to you would do the trick and avoid anything jarring or surprising, if you stay out of the yellow pages. And if you can find a phone book these days.

3 Likes

I’ve been reading a lot of philosophy of math recently, and it’s great for this purpose!

2 Likes

So basically it’s whatever would get you tossed out of any half decent creative writing class. Got it. Thanks.

2 Likes

Also - I read Neal Stephenson (in hard cover) to get to sleep. When that big ass tome whacks you in the face you know it’s time to turn out the light and get some shut eye - while your face heals.

8 Likes

Well, more so later in the series. Each subsequent book took longer and longer to tell less and less of a story. 300 pages in, when most books are over, Jordan was just getting started. Reading the sixth or seventh book was like trying to walk up a down escalator.

3 Likes

Exactly what I meant. First 2-3 books were really good, if long.

Getting on towards 4-9, I recall there being way too many scenes dedicated to drinking tea and detailing the facial expressions made while drinking said tea.

4 Likes

My dad would read The Egyptian Book of the Dead translated from the original hieroglyphs.

Example: “What a journey I have made, the things I have seen. I am but one of you. In my hand I grasp the sailing mast, while my left hand trails in the water. The trees are heavy with figs and olives. A coconut drops to the ground. I have separated myself from myself to sail again on the green Nile waters.”

6 Likes

You could practically hear the splashing in the pail as he milked his cash cow more and more with each book, extending out the arc. It’s sad he died before he finished the series, but it felt like he would never have volunatarily have wrapped it up.

3 Likes

Ehhh, he would have finished. It started moving again when his health started to fail.

But, I think you’re right in a fashion. He’d never have finished if he hadn’t gotten sick.

All that said, SO EXCITED for the WoT show on Amazon. I just hope it breaks down like:

Season 1 - Book one
Season 2 - Book two
Season 3 - Book three
Season 4 - Books 4 - 10
Season 5 - Books 11-13
Season 6 - Book 14

2 Likes

I’ve found Henry James to be useful for this (uh, perhaps not ‘Turn of the Screw’ tho). I suppose two of the hands down winners would have to be ‘Being and Time’ (Hiedegger) and 'Being and Nothingness (Sartre)… However, If you really have a go and actually try to understand them, you’ll just get a headache.

2 Likes

Slow-Lit is a genre of stories designed to put people to sleep

So textbooks then…

2 Likes

At first I thought, this refers simply to „reading books veery slowly“. Because that‘s what I do, when I tuck my kid in. And it works! I fall asleep eeevery time :smiley:

7 Likes

And of course, folding one‘s arms beneath one‘s breasts.

3 Likes

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.