Slow Roads, a "chill" driving game you can play for free in your browser

Originally published at: Slow Roads, a "chill" driving game you can play for free in your browser | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Somehow reminded my of this:

4 Likes

No logins, no installs, just roads

So far so good. But does it also not have a steering wheel that constantly pulls to the right?

8 Likes

my iPad mini is failing as I cannot upgrade to iSO 14…
so this is the cool school…

https://www.pixelbite.se/more-games/reckless-racing/

1 Like

I love it! Ten seconds in, roaring towards the horizon, and I’m in a skid that in reality would roll any vehicle…

and that’s when it decides to give me helpful popup “Hold Shift to boost acceleration”, LOL

I may be doing this wrong
3 Likes

Dang this is cool! Thanks @beschizza! I used to play the original “The Need for Speed” on 3DO and you could turn off the traffic and cops and have zen driving moments like this with beautiful scenery.

Of course, here it is with traffic and cops…

5 Likes

And of course the moment I decide to be a contrarian and pull a u turn the entire simulation falls apart. Wonderful!

3 Likes

Desert Bus is a classic. Penn & Teller need to make more video games. Did you see where they remastered the game for VR?

3 Likes

Very nice. I was able to get some good jumps in, and drive underwater to get to an island. However, the physics engine absolutely refuses to let you roll, as far as I can tell.

PS @beschizza the Comments link on the post is a self-link.

2 Likes

Oh wow, nice easter egg.

1 Like

Reminds me a lot of Odyssey By Car, a similarly desolate driving game, although that one gave you collectables and a timer you’re free to ignore and just explore.

odysscar

3 Likes

You can get an achievement for finding the outer boundary of the world, if you drive into the ocean for long enough, as I found out by being a submarine.

4 Likes

(name checks out)

3 Likes

reducing the “render scale” to “0.5” or “0.75” helps smooth out the video

3 Likes

I just drove off the road and played slalom with the trees. I quickly discovered you could drive right through them, so I spent another minute trying to drive to the highest elevations and then was done.

1 Like

That reminds me of a bit from Community: “The true repairman will repair… man.”

1 Like

First thing I did was drive off the edge of the world. It’s nice there.

2 Likes

If you’re not paying and you’re not being paid…

or

Anything is preferable to permitting them to be alone with their thoughts.

The real game is the weird physics of flying a car off a cliff, but never hitting the water, but when you let go of the acceleration, it seems to start reversing you back towards land. If you accelerate to fight it and let go again, you’re just a listlessly existing in suspension until the negative acceleration kicks in.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.