Slow TV: take a 2.5 hour narrowboat cruise down an English canal

4 Likes

It was on ITV (well ITV2) here in the UK. No subscription required! :wink:

1 Like

I really wanted to go on a narrowboat holiday. Then I saw how much it cost. Seriously, you could go anywhere in the fucking world and have spending money when you got there for the price of 2 weeks on a barge. It’s insane.

1 Like

There are hotels in Bath, England where the cost of a night’s stay would easily get you to New York!
There are many restored canals across the UK now, and most towpaths are shared use for walking and cycling, with the great benefit that there are very few slopes, one of the steepest is on the Kennet and Avon Canal, that runs from Bath to Reading, allowing a cyclist to ride from Bristol to London mostly off-road - the long slope at Caen Hill in Devizes has the longest flight of locks in the UK, and requires an entire day to negotiate! It’s not unusual for families on narrowboat holidays to ‘encourage’ their offspring to operate the gates; cue much muttering from grumpy teens. :grin:

4 Likes

So love clever mechanical solutions like this. Brilliant.

Lifting the boats uses the Energy equivalent of boiling 8 kettles of water (‘wuhtuh’)? That’s amazing.

And… the… languid… Pace

Of…The…VO… Really

Goes… Well… With… Relaxing

Vibe… Of… The…

Narrowboat… Videos.

1 Like

Wow! That is so fucking cool!

2 Likes

I wonder if it’s worse than a barge with a crew. Seeing the prices for that made me wonder about the cost of lessons and insurance (just in case, 'cause tunnels and locks do not look like something fun to navigate).

Hmm, new post-pandemic holiday plan. Befriend family with teens on narrowboat holiday, and follow them everywhere. Will provide snacks in exchange, because nobody wants something like this to happen:

1 Like

The visitor centre at the Falkirk Wheel is great too - explains why they dug the canals in the first place. Think it was something like one horse, like Bilbo pulling a narrowboat could pull 6 times the weight a horse pulling a cart could manage on the road, and a lot faster - pre-asphalt, the state of the UK’s public roads varied from okay to terrible.

5 Likes

It cost me $550 in July of 2016 to cruise around Oxford in a 48 foot narrowboat on the Thames for 5 days, 4 nights. Similar to a hotel in that area and season. Ate at The Folly, The Head of the River,The Trout, and the Talbot Inn.

5 Likes

Same. Not to be that person, but one thing I REALLY hate when we go for a hike is when we come across people that feel the need to play music out in the woods the whole time. I mean, I love music, it’s on all the time at my house and live music is my thing (pre-covid). But when I’m out in nature, I’d prefer to hear nature.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.