It looks like fun to take sleeper ferry in Japan (video)

Originally published at: It looks like fun to take sleeper ferry in Japan (video) | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Oh yeah, I love those videos!

7 Likes

During the frantic and uncertain times of COVID-19 2020, I watched several of these channels because of their calming nature. Look up ‘Solo Travel Japan’ and it’s copycat ‘Solo Solo Travel Japan’.

If you like these low key YouTube channels, you should look up one of the many UK narrowboat channels. They have the same calming yet engaging feel to them.

14 Likes

Wow! That ship looks like an upscaled Fisher-Price toy.

Chug chug chug chug chug

11 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/c/Rambalac is my favorite so far. No voiceover or narration, you just enjoy the 4K. I like the nighttime city walkthroughs the best, followed by the sprawling underground.

6 Likes

Having watched the entire video, I’ve got to say that I found it an emotional ride; stress at seeing all the things I didn’t understand (but have now got a better idea of), envy at the food, and, weirdly, almost tears, at the sound of wind and water above deck. I am a silly old Hector.

14 Likes

This looks lovely. Those meals! Wowza!
Since I don’t have to fly for work anymore (thank you, COVID?), I’ve been trying to stick to overland/sea travel when I do travel, and find it way better. If one has the time, of course.

7 Likes

I actually saw a brochure advertising these narrowboats for rent. Motorbarges of varying sizes. Seems like a fun way for a family or group tour to see much of England by canal. Just tie up at a random town’s quay wall, storm the pubs, and stagger back to the boat at the end of the night. Just don’t fall into the drink. Even had fuel available at no added cost (part of the package) at select fuel docks.

6 Likes

I am V fond of his channel, and also enjoy his foodie one. I do avoid the videos involving capsule style sleeping arrangements - they really freak me out.
mat

4 Likes
3 Likes

Having lived in the back of a pickup truck, I’d say one gets used to it—being able to touch something solid in every direction makes one feel safe

4 Likes

There’s also a ferry service between Osaka and Busan (South Korea) that takes you through the Seto Inland Sea so you can see Okayama, Hiroshima and Shimonoseki along the way, as well as the huge bridges connecting Honshu with Shikoku and Kyushu.

They had a karaoke event with prizes after dinner. It was a lot of fun. They just reopened service for the first time since 2020. I’d really like to do it again.

6 Likes

Getting through the Tardebigge Flight of lock gates on the Worcester & Birmingham Canal, while trying to stay ahead of a shambling zombie horde, could make a very slow and tense few episodes.

Edit for illustration

8 Likes

Dropping from above like ticks from the tree canopy.

1 Like

A-ha, so that’s how they make their money!

(JK, this sounds wonderful.)

3 Likes

Try “Solo Female Travel From Japan” as well. She has friends along some times but of the various channels I have watched from the recommendations from solo travel and solo solo it is the only one I have subscribed to.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.