Slush ejected from snowplow damages at least 40 vehicles, injures 12 in Ohio

I wasn’t a driver when I grew up there, and I have been gone long enough that I have forgotten many things.

Yes, we all have our little quirks.

:slight_smile:

7 Likes

Snow? What is this ‘snow’ of which you speak?
Actually, in the south-west of England we get actual, proper snow that lasts more than about thirty minutes about once every twenty-five to thirty years! In fact, the last time there was substantial snow in our neck of the woods was 1981/2, IIRC. A mate and I were both going out with trainee nurses who were in Basingstoke, about fifty miles away, and on our way back home in the early hours, on a very cold, snowy night, near Avebury, I saw something and immediately pulled over. My mate asked me what was up, I told him to get out and see if he was seeing what I thought I’d just seen. We stood there in the cold and dark for about five minute watching a stunning display of the Aurora Borealis! Extraordinary experience this far south, we just never get the conditions for them. Or the snow.
The last, really heavy snow was 1963, it started snowing on Boxing Day, and the last snow melted three months later; no issues with traffic, hardly anyone owned a car back then!

10 Likes

What Are You Talking About Harrison Ford GIF by Star Wars

Plenty of places in the US/Canada, such as Ohio get plenty of “real” snow…

7 Likes

[Buffalo has entered the chat]

Animated GIF

22 Likes

The turnpike is I-80/I-90 from the west side of Cleveland to just outside Chicago in Indiana.

/map nerd :smirk:

@DukeTrout: And says “hold my beer”

8 Likes

We have that, but it’s just desert :desert: sand.

6 Likes

He hee 73 the other day here…

5 Likes

Here is Ohio, the damn snow won’t stop coming down. They plowed my road four times the other day (and it needed it each time) and I live on a dead-end street that gets a quarter of the attention main roads get!

Yes, the plow guys have been out all night. And most of the day, too. I know one guy that got about four hours sleep over a 24 hour period.

Joys of living in a snow belt!

5 Likes

I’ve only ever heard “freeway” and “expressway” used here in Detroit. “X-way” was also in use when I was a child, but no longer. We have local names for all the freeways; I-75 is often called the Chrysler, M-10 is the Lodge, I-94 is the ford freeway.

None of my friends in southern Coliforniyah (90s) used “freeway.”

ETA: it’s 10℉ in Detroit as I type this, w/a windchill of 3℉.

5 Likes

I’ll add this to my reasons why I don’t live there.
I’m shivering just thinking about it.

1 Like

People from snowy places don’t like being reminded when they visit warm states during the winter. My snowblower would never handle the white stuff on the street in Clearwater Beach, Florida.

2 Likes

Just as long as I don’t have to take the Southfield [shudder]!

2 Likes

Ugh! Also, the Lodge gets creepy, and the drivers get crazier, as soon as those high concrete walls appear near Southfield.

Wide Track Drive in Pontiac is also horrid - my BF and I were just complaining about invariably getting lost AF on WTD! Maps don’t help, either!

2 Likes

I don’t know that one! Must be new since I moved out west.

2 Likes

[Ohio says hello back to Buffalo]

ice gon GIF

5 Likes

& @MerelyGifted: M-14 Speedway 4 lyfe! :joy:

2 Likes

nothing to do with your shaved ice and cream

1 Like

They gonna fix that. I’ll believe it when I see it.

1 Like

They bloody well better fix it. That road is effing cursed. I never get lost. Mom never got lost, even driving around in unfamiliar cities.* My BF doesn’t get lost. All three of us invariably got lost on that stupid, hexed road.

More on topic, I’ve never seen a more idiotic, wasteful ‘use’ of a snowplow. Whatever he was on is something everyone should avoid.

*She actually did get very briefly lost her 1st time driving in Jamaica. I will happily spin that yarn in a msg to any who requests same. :smiley:

I would even gladly take some snow chaos over the constant rain in the 0-10°C range

1 Like