Small sub has vanished with 5 people on board who went to see the Titanic

The article says that the company doesn’t even have any other submarines capable of diving as deep as this one. Unless the submarine is stuck in a relatively shallow part of its planned course it seems unlikely anyone could put together a successful rescue attempt in time even if the sub’s location was known.

8 Likes

More conspiracy fuel.

My favorite theory is that they sunk the ship to kill 3 rich people who were supposedly against the Federal Reserve and this is somehow related to GESARA/NESARA AND Bitcoin.

13 Likes

The CBC has been reporting on this as well, and it is indeed untethered. It was towed out to sea by a surface vessel. Overall, seems like a very dangerous model for doing this, for exactly this reason.

I really hope they find them. :confused:

21 Likes

1,514 + 5.

Can it ever be ‘safe’ to visit the Titanic? Any activity that takes me out of my armchair significantly increases risk to life & limb.

5 Likes

The difference between taking a positively bouyant submersible to 125m and to 3800m is just massive. I’m pretty sure that if a positively buoyant vehicle lost power at 3000m and “popped up” to the surface, it would explode en route.

6 Likes

Oof, this chills me right to the bone. There’s no way I’d sign up for this (even with magical FU money).

I’m rather surprised there’s no other rescue/retrieval/shadow vessel, and I’ll be interested to see what their safety measures were, once more info emerges.

13 Likes

One more thing about subs:

My brother joined the Navy after HS. He got into their Nuclear program. I told him cool, but don’t get stationed on a submarine. I’ve seen too many sub movies where the damn thing slows up compartment by compartment with water…

He ended up on the USS Carl Vinson, an aircraft carrier. If that thing sank, WWIII probably started…

16 Likes

Or buried in rich tourist mini-subs.

12 Likes

Dying in a tiny sub would either be nearly painless and instantaneous, or slow, claustrophobic, and terrible.

13 Likes

The wreck is 3822 m down. But 60 km away to the south west, it gets down to 4000 m. Seems a bit far.

4 Likes

From a BBC article…

He added that because the passengers are sealed inside the vessel by bolts applied from the outside, “there’s no way to escape, even if you rise to the surface by yourself. You cannot get out of the sub without a crew on the outside letting you out.”

Um, that’s a big not a chance.

8 Likes

The Titanic has it’s own Green Boots now!

2 Likes

… surely if drowning were painless or instantaneous then waterboarding would not be the go-to technique among professional torturers

5 Likes

Isn’t that something which actually can’t happen? I vaguely remember some physicists explained that on some documentary about submarines, featuring also the Titanic… Wasn’t it that the thing would rather implode if the pressure hull would be compromised?
And if water would enter, it would be in small quantities, but with such force that it would take apart the structure (or cut your arm right off if you tried to put something in its way)?

I honestly can’t remember, but then I also would not volunteer to join a military sub crew.

Talking of which:

9 Likes

At 3800 meters, you’re not drowning, you’re getting squished.

16 Likes

I guess, but none of the photos on the company’s own website even show people looking out the porthole. Here’s one photo showing the experience you get for all that money:

6 Likes

Actually, you are wrong. The first deep diving free vesssel, the bathyscaphe, used iron weights stuck to an electromagnet as ballast to sink to the sea floor, and released them to become buoyant and pop back to the surface when the dive was done (or if an accident made them lose power). And they never exploded because of this ascent, even from the bottom of the Mariana trench.

9 Likes

I think it depends on what happens and where. You could start to take on water closer to the surface, lose power, and then sink.

I think Gray Lady Down is the movie I am thinking about seeing as a kid that probably scarred me. If not, then something like that.

But yes, a violent implosion at death would be pretty quick but horrible…

I found out years later that an old friend from Middle School was on a sub, and as a kid he would literally sleep like a log. Like, on his back, in his bed, and not move all night. Probably perfect for cramped sub quarters!

6 Likes

At 3800 meters, you’re not drowning, you’re getting squished.

I think other people were forgetful of what high-pressure water can do

3 Likes

I’m guessing that lawyers are gathering as we speak?

How ironclad can the hold harmless agreement be?

5 Likes