Small sub has vanished with 5 people on board who went to see the Titanic

11 Likes

Oh wow. So these clowns are SV Seeker* with a bigger budget.

*For those not in the loop, SV Seeker is this enormous YouTube project to build a 75’ steel sailboat, being built by a guy who knows nothing about boats, can’t sail, and is a terrible welder. He aggressively and explicitly rejects all advice from experts, as well as all marine grade components, all due to a personal philosophy that boils down to his own belief in his own superior awesomeness. This guy is such a clown that entire reddits exist devoted to dragging his ass, and having experts inventory every mind-numbingly stupid thing he does in every video.

14 Likes

I don’t think “that detail” was the shutting off of the internet. :person_facepalming:

4 Likes

Is it even licenced at all? CBS had reported that it has “not been approved by any regulatory body.” So I just figured they were getting away with it because they’re out in international waters. The mothership is probably licenced as a research vessel though.

9 Likes

So basically “sudden unscheduled implosion”
Seem like having money shielding yourself from consequence for too long makes you incompatible with engineer principle of making compromise and trade off.

This guy self impression is right on the unreal spectrum. This is not an unexpected incident. This is a disaster waiting to happen from the beginning.

14 Likes

I’m shocked that Phony Stark hasn’t jumped in with his amazing rescue plan yet.

15 Likes

A detail of interest, via a BBC Travel article

[while approaching the Titanic wreck site] Pan heard pilot Griffith say, “Oh no. We have a problem.”
“When I’m thrusting forwards, one of the thrusters is thrusting backwards,” Griffith explained. “Now all I can do is a 360.” … The solution which came to Rush was brilliantly simple: “Tell him to hold it the other way,” he said. After establishing that turning left on the controller will move the submersible forwards, he concluded that turning the controller 90 degrees clockwise will make the submersible possible to go forward again.

:astonished:

So much for that “pre-launch checklist”…

13 Likes

I’m kinda amazed that as of 5:00 PM EST, the website is still up:

6 Likes

Musk’s 2018 rescue idea was an underwater coffin, and it really sounds like this one was already basically that. :frowning:

15 Likes
12 Likes

Well, it should be like an elevator in that it should meet strict design requirements and regulations, be well-engineered, have multiple levels of redundancy, a clear rescue procedure, regular inspections, get government certification…

24 Likes

One possible failure mode I hadn’t thought of, seen online: depending on the composition of the air supply, an Apollo I style fire. Unlikely, but yikes.

8 Likes

From the Benifits section of their website…

Zero tether management issues.

They may have to update that.

9 Likes

I’ll bet this couple is thanking their lucky stars right now:

10 Likes

Reddit put me in time out for posting “sink the rich”.

4 Likes

Sarcastic John Oliver GIF

7 Likes

It occurs to me that everyone in that sub is a wealthy American, and thus is a libertarian, dreaming of a world where market forces replace government regulations.

I wonder if they’re thinking about that right now.

7 Likes

The things glued on the thumbsticks do not fill me with confidence.

8 Likes

Rush called these developments “understandable but illogical,” saying he felt the law was well meaning but lamenting the stifling effect it put on commercial innovation.

Pick one. There is nothing illogical about safety standards and practices. He is implying everything that impedes techbros like him to profit is illogical. If he wants to “innovate”, fine. By ignoring safety requirement, his company should be forced to have an escrow account to cover insurance, rescue cost, etc in case something like this happen. You can’t expect to pocket the payment then asking the tax payers to shoulder your rescue cost. Would that be “understandable but illogical”, is it? Socialize the cost and privatize the benefits all the way.

12 Likes

That’s not even the most concerning thing in that photo. Looks like they went ahead and SCREWED THE MONITOR MOUNT STRAIGHT INTO THE COMPOSITE PRESSURE WALL.

13 Likes