Smithsonian scientist Harrison Dyar spent 20 years digging hidden tunnels under Washington D.C

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/09/27/smithsonian-scientist-harrison.html

3 Likes

It turned out he was just building a scale model of an ant farm.

11 Likes

Reminds me of James Williamson’s unexplained tunnels in Liverpool.

[Grr! I’ve done it again!
Sorry: that wasn’t intended as a direct reply to Vert.]

1 Like

So we’re obviously talking about Lovecraftian ghouls aren’t we?

1 Like

Entos.

You beat me to it :smiley: Williamson’s tunnels are such an excellently eccentric idea, and on such a huge scale too. I like the idea of buying a house, only to find that one room is missing because some nutjob has built a tunnel through it. Also the tale of an inspection pit in a garage where all the oily rags were pushed in to a crack in the floor and just vanished. After years of doing this, they finally discovered they had filled a huge shaft with flammable fabric.

On a sightly related front, friends of friends bought a cottage called “Tan Pit Cottage”. It was only after a huge hole opened up in the middle of the lawn, that they discovered the cottage had been built on top of a timber lid covering a massive pit; and the wood was rotting away.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.