Watch: man discovers labyrinth behind his bookshelf

Originally published at: Watch: man discovers labyrinth behind his bookshelf | Boing Boing

17 Likes

This is amazingly cool. The ladder from the crawlspace to the roof is quite new, though, so the area was presumably secret only to Freddy.

35 Likes

Getting serious House of Leaves vibes.

11 Likes

Some of that under-floor space (that was about maybe 3 feet high) was just normal space below floors when such houses were built with footings below the walls rather than solid foundations throughout. Stuff gets dumped down there if there’s a hatch. But some of those spaces were clearly intended to be used, if only for access for maintenance.

He needs to do some proper internal and external measurement and mapping to identify all the spaces and how they link. It is possible some of the gaps are a deliberate attempt to ‘insulate’ certain rooms by making what would otherwise be external walls, internal walls.

And I was very much hoping the locked safe mystery would run rather longer - we all like one of those, here, don’t we! :wink:

20 Likes

I can’t believe that a wealthy man discovering his crawl space… when viral.

Was Narnia just the crawl space under the house?

18 Likes

I have a short story where this is the basic premise, but I can’t finish it because the most fertile directions that idea goes (“narnia turns out to be crawlspace”) are … dark.

20 Likes

@anothernewbbaccount there’s a hidden safe!?! :thinking:

12 Likes

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

25 Likes

13 Likes

You didn’t watch the video, did you. :wink: And now I’ve gone and dropped a spoiler. Enjoy!

5 Likes

I did. I actually replied to thread without reading your reply. So I edited you into my reply. :wink:

5 Likes

Not entirely. And most crawl spaces don’t have steps down to them. And then there was the vertical space with its ladder that he wrongly called a ‘staircase’.

But yeah - mostly crawl space, with the twist that its access point was in a hidden space between walls.

2 Likes

Ah - the question mark, apparently directed at me, threw me off. Sorry.

3 Likes

You have been eaten by a grue.

15 Likes
10 Likes

Concept wonderful. I kept watching to see if he was able to start a sentence without the word so.

Annoying to have vertical video made horizontal so I can’t even watch it full screen on a vertical phone. I’m guessing that was some kind of amalgamator that takes a cut (all of?) any ads rather than the originator, which is scummy…

6 Likes

All I could keep thinking while watching this was: these are people who don’t know how to use power tools.
And I’m probably just jealous since all I ever find behind my bookcases are mouse nests.

12 Likes

Never advertise the location of your panic room!

Cool.

7 Likes

Just finished watching “The Haunting of Hill House” series on Netflix, and… nope.

3 Likes

Make a great AirBnB.

7 Likes