Snake with three eyes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/03/snake-with-three-eyes.html

5 Likes

Bran? Is that you?

4 Likes

Only in this country :

3 Likes

Oh, I don’t think that’s a good omen.

10 Likes

I do hope they released it back from whence it came. Let’s see if it breeds more three-eyed danger noodles.

11 Likes

Wow, how is its brain configured? Which hemisphere processes the input?

12 Likes

Yah, if we were backward primitives, we’d get all excited about this and burn offerings, or even declare it a deity, but in these enlightened times it’s just a boingboing post.

3 Likes

I kinda feel bad for the little nope rope

10 Likes

Blinky

14 Likes

I, for one…

7 Likes

So now we’re gonna have to change the rules for some dice games?

12 Likes

…welcome our…

2 Likes

Snake eyes!

[Yes, that was literally the best I could do.]

24 Likes

The crown chakra.

3 Likes

Came for the Simpsons reference. Leaving satisfied.

6 Likes

From what little I understand, the hemisphere demarcation is, while not exactly a myth, overblown even when it comes to primates (including humans), especially when it comes to the visual cortex. That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if reptile brains work quite differently from mammalian brains.

1 Like

“It is extremely unlikely that this is from environmental factors.”
No. Its unlikely to be from post birth environmental factors. Being due to environmental factors in the egg that altered homeobox gene expression seems quite likely

3 Likes

Hemisphere demarcation of visual cortex is definitely not a myth. Parts of your eyes that see things left of your nose transmit to the right hemisphere, and vice versa.
As the third eye is facing almost straight up, if it is functional and wired normally, then it should project to both hemispheres about equally.

6 Likes

You’ve seen what it has three of… but guess what it has two of?

4 Likes

Good to know. Thanks.

Question: Do reptile brains have split hemispheres?

4 Likes