So, You've Been Disappeared!

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/22/so-youve-been-disappeared.html

Tom the Dancing Bug, IN WHICH your government gives you a helpful Informational Brochure on being abducted by masked, unidentified federal troopers in an unmarked van

15 Likes

I don’t get it. Why is this funny? Never thought I’d say that.

5 Likes

It’s funny 'cuz it’s true.

22 Likes

I never did understand the logic behind wearing camouflage in the middle of urban city streets…

Probably more to look intimidating than blend into the background, so it’s really the opposite of camouflage.

The world is so updside down right now. :upside_down_face:

27 Likes

The Yukon!/You can! joke was just the right amount of dumb I needed for this to change from sad laughter to an outright guffaw.

21 Likes

Ha ha! It’s funny because it’s not.

9 Likes

In this case it only works in a “if I don’t laugh then I’ll cry” way.

(I didn’t laugh)

31 Likes

I think Ruben has been spending a lot of time in Scarfolk. I was half expecting “For more information please reread” at the bottom. Or maybe it is just that the US has devolved into Littler’s crazed world of state inflicted terror

18 Likes

Because khaki and polos would look too much like trump golf outings.

22 Likes

I thought it was because so many white supremist liked wearing cammo, makes them feel more powerful. Borrowed valor, dontcha know.

Although having your uniform easily purchased at any Army/Navy store and already owned by a whole lot of people who are likely to do violence in support of your cause and providing plausible deniability if things go wrong and a lack of accountability is completely accidental, right?

14 Likes

I’ll never understand why people dress their kids in camo.

Is it maybe to make it easier to loose them?

6 Likes

Now I’m staring to think how a version for North Ireland stuck in the 197A poster should look.
For the van of choiche a Ford Transit or a VW bus?

3 Likes

20180703_gallows-590x207

17 Likes

You can find easily cammo and dark green trousers and dresses in open air market, and they are cheap and durable, because they are using, I think the same fabric used for actual uniforms. I have some of these and are fantastic for working in the garden or make heavy work.

5 Likes

Best of all if you spill food on them you don’t have to worry about stains.

13 Likes

I once had a cigarette lighter with a camo pattern. Didn’t have it for long.

8 Likes

i like my humor like i like my coffee. ( never before bed. it just keeps you up )

and i have to admit, the tag line still has me laughing, “it’s not just judicial, it’s extrajudicial.”

the whole situation is absurd. you couldn’t have written this in fiction and been taking seriously even a year ago.

my friends in portland are livid, and rightly so. everyone should be. it’s not clear to me what stops this. only that it has to end. now.

15 Likes

Brutal.

(For those wondering how this is funny: lampooning your oppressors is a time-honored method of undercutting their authority.)

6 Likes

What’s happening to the people that get picked up in this way?

I think I read they were driven a short distance and then released. Is that true?

5 Likes

Catch and release in effect currently. Trump will have open season should he get re-elected in November. No bag limit I expect.

/s, but probably not too far from truth

11 Likes