Social Justice Kittens: the postcards

[Read the post]

5 Likes

Fight the power kittens.

12 Likes

I pray MRA puppies is a joke. It’s a joke, right?

9 Likes

There are a lot of people who won’t get the humor.

For some, the joke’s on them.

3 Likes

Well, considering these are a joke, I expect those to be too.

5 Likes

I can’t even tell any more if “social justice warrior” is a genuine pejorative.

3 Likes

Oh yes, it is pejorative, right up there with “libtard.”

As for these cards, I guess the point is that those who care about the less fortunate, or point out that they themselves are being treated wrong, are just a bunch of little pussies? If so, I’m not buying it (nor them).

8 Likes

I think it’s a very subjective pejorative - one of my sweeties would fit the description quite well and is happy to use the SJW label for themselves. (They’ve even considered dressing up in a suitably decorated costume for some event or another.) They would take it as a compliment, not an insult.

The cards seem much the same way - the partner of which I speak would love them, actually. I think they’re pretty adorable and love the messages, so … yay? Additionally: if that’s the intent, personally I’d just shrug. I don’t consider ‘pussy’ to be an insult(*), and I’m anything but little.

(* - Hell, I can even give them the lecture about gendered insults. Really, that’s just asking for it, isn’t it?)

5 Likes

:violin:

6 Likes

This is ableist against the tone deaf.

15 Likes

It’s been reappropriated by some, see e.g. Olly Moss’ lovely graphic.

As to the kittens: they’re intended to mock people, not to affirm their views and/or hardships. Tejaratchi has a long history of criticizing “SJWs”.

1 Like

These are like those cringy minion memes except with a big dollop of self righteousness.

1 Like

That’s a shame, because I really do like the images, but I can also see the attempt. (Admittedly, I still think it fails, simply because I don’t see anything wrong with the messages on the cards - they seem a bit zealous, but not far enough for the usual trollies. Perhaps I’m just not used to such subtle trollies?) Still, given the history of this person … yeah, no sale, even if they were available.

1 Like

A joke at the expense of MRAs, which would certainly be a bit less irritating than these, which seem to be a joke at the expense of liberal ‘SJWs’…

“You are jeopardizing my well-being with your violent refusal to agree” was the one that made it pretty clear to me that these were caricatured jokes at the expense of those kooky libruls.

5 Likes

It seems to be more a gentle ribbing at people who can occasionally take themselves a little too seriously. SJWs who are easily offended will get offended, SJWs who share his sense of humour will find it funny, because they see a parody of themselves and laugh it off. I don’t know his politics, but that seems to be where he’s coming from:

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to my safe space:

18 Likes

This one is my favourite.

5 Likes

I reposted the “any word can be a trigger” one on Twitter (200k followers) not because I don’t empathize with triggering, but because I think the very idea of anyone anywhere being triggered by the actual words “labradoodle”, “crisp”, or “sacajawea” is abso-fucking-lutely hilarious. :laughing:

(bonus for including both orthopaedic and orthopedic)

The words they chose are just so sublime and amazing. It’s genius. I did get hassled about reposting that from some quarters, but screw those people. My love for words made me do it.

10 Likes

That one relies a lot more on the definition of SJW - I think it’s important to take social justice seriously without taking yourself too seriously and without making every personal interaction into a front in the social justice war. Looking back particularly to university life, some people from a variety of religious, social, political and other perspectives used their views as a way to take offense at everything and excuse the fact that they couldn’t get on with others very well.

4 Likes

Depends entirely on the context.

Serious using it as an insult is kinda like calling someone a “race traitor”; it says more about the speaker than the subject.

7 Likes