Software lets you design new synthetic voices from scratch

Originally published at: Software lets you design new synthetic voices from scratch | Boing Boing

The narrative example seemed more natural than the conversational.

2 Likes

One day we’ll have completely synthetic media creations. Movies with scripts completely generated by AI, played by virtual actors with synthetic voices. It feels like r/ABoringDystopia is leaking.

Episode 17 Technology GIF by The Simpsons

3 Likes

Seems like they’re trying to build an ethical model of AI use, which I approve of. I may have to check them out. In the space of “audiobook narration for indie publishers,” this could be a really useful tool.

4 Likes

This would definitely be great for audiobook narration. I wonder if this tech could ever be used “on the fly” for things such as a screen reader or even virtual assistants. I’d love the ability to switch Google’s voice to something more natural sounding.

4 Likes

Won’t somebody think of Hatsune Miku?

If further layers of automation steal jobs from other automations, how long before it wraps around and we can steal them back?

I don’t think it’ll take that long.

“Artisan Narration”

1 Like

I’ve invented a movie that creates itself, watches itself, then deletes itself, all within a nanosecond. A few billion masterpieces were crafted, thoroughly enjoyed, and then destroyed as you read this comment.

From 2017

I fear for my voice actor friends and my book-on-tape recordists & editor friends. I can’t really say that I’m excited about a technology that will replace entire industries-- especially if it’s replaced by only one or two companies (Adobe has been working on something similar).

Based on the examples they provided I’d say that it’s not flawless (the main voiceover sounded a bit angry and aggressive–which would have been directed out of the read if they had had a real voice actor and producer), but it’s probably good enough for a large segment of work. So ok-- the self published author who couldn’t afford to record a book on tape will use it, but that will put downward pressure on rates for those projects that otherwise would have hired a real (preferably union) voice actor, recording studio, editor, and producer/director.

I could also see a lot of corporate productions, that are the bread and butter of many not-so-famous voice actors, moving to this kind of technology. In fact each of Eleven’s use cases is a segment of work that will no longer be available to humans, while the profit is then scooped up by Eleven (or Adobe) who acts as the AI landlord.

But I’m a cynic at heart; maybe this will all turn up roses.

1 Like

I’m afraid. My mind is going. I can feel it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.