Solar eclipse on Jupiter

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/14/solar-eclipse-on-jupiter.html

4 Likes

Neat. I’m a little surprised to learn that Io is large enough/close enough to the surface of Jupiter to cast a proper shadow, but here we are.

8 Likes

8 Likes

Io is probably my favorite Jovian moon. It’s quite close. Close enough that tidal forces from Jupiter’s gravity drive volcanic activity on the moon. In other words its interior is ripped apart and heated by Jupiter. It’s the most geologically active object in the solar system.

15 Likes

A lot of the interesting effects of solar eclipses on Earth (e.g. Baily’s Beads, shadow bands) come about not because the Moon is blocking the Sun but because they are very nearly tangent. We get a long time of this because they are of the same apparent size. It’s a lucky time to be an Earthling: the Moon used to be too close and will one day be too far, for this same-apparent-size effect.

Looking at this picture I don’t envy the Jovians. Io’s too close for now.

3 Likes

Reminds of the movie 2010…when Jupiter is transformed into a star:

12 Likes

Convenient that Io happened to be aligned between the Sun and the Jupiter plug hole…

3 Likes

Looks like black sharpie to me…

11 Likes

It’s even more impressive when multiple moons align…

6 Likes

You’re totally wrong. That happened on Jupabama.

1 Like

Fake astronomy. We all know that Jupiter, its moons and the sun are flat.

5 Likes

Such beauty from heavenly bodies. I’m smitten.

1 Like

It’s where they warehouse the government surveillance drones “birds”.

4 Likes

Ok @beschizza now make it transform into a giant :thinking: plz the internet needs this

Oh, you got there first! Good work…

This yarmulke on Jupiter is clearly blah blah blah blah George Soros.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.