Solar power is revolutionizing life for opium farmers

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/14/solar-power-is-revolutionizing.html

6 Likes

Does Big Pharma get a carbon credit for this?

16 Likes

Shut down trade/aid to Pakistan until they clean up their act.

There. Done. No more export routes.

And don’t let people forget that you were hiding Bin Laden.

3 Likes

Forget heroin. The real cash crop on the planet right now is avocados. There’s lots of toast and not enough avocados.

21 Likes

But man. Have you seen the prices at the local cafes? It’s like they’re charging us more because of all of these restrictions and stuff. I tried going to Whole Foods and getting my own 'cados to make toast at home but it just wasn’t the same without the sublime pseudo-jazz music in the background.

EDIT: /s

6 Likes

For those wh wonder why it’s not sustainable:
“So much water is now being used that ground water levels in Helmand are estimated to be falling by 3m a year.”
Time to invest in cheap heroin to sell later on when production crashes.

12 Likes

But at least the American cotton growers are ok.

4 Likes

The article doesn’t mention Pakistan at all.

It seems to me that the international community putting sanctions on Pakistan because drugs cross their border from Afghanistan would be like the international community putting sanctions on the United States because drugs cross our border from Mexico.

20 Likes

Since then growth has been exponential. The number of solar panels installed on farms has doubled every year.

Oooh, big props to the Beeb for using the word “exponential” correctly.

There must be a different system in the United Kingdom. Here in the U.S., journalists are required to take a test of basic math skills, and if they pass it, they’re fired.

20 Likes

Trade: Legalize heroin and the illicit drug trade dies.

Avacadoes: Grandma had a tree in the backyard. Free 'cados for the family. The rhubarb bushes by her back door supplied great pies, too.

Revolution: For the hell of it.

15 Likes

Most Afghan opium is exported to Iran.

8 Likes

Be interesting to see if they kill off their ability to produce.

3 Likes

Toast? Did someone say toast? :wink:

5 Likes

What I was trying to convey was that the corruption is so prolific in Pakistan that sending monetary aid won’t help since it will not actually help the people. They won’t let International aid agencies in to address the situation unless certain palms get greased. Again. And again.

It sucks, and I have no solution since I’m not an expert in that area of diplomacy. It would be great if we had someone in a leadership position who understood the nuances of the situation and was able to appoint capable people to help make a framework for resolving the issue.

45 ain’t it.

2 Likes

Again, this article doesn’t even mention Pakistan.

9 Likes

There isn’t a step-function border wall between the two countries. Since nobody will touch any exports out of Afghanistan I’m assuming it goes through Pakistan but I could be mistaken. I’m not an expert on the region, so I will not make any more comments but I would love to hear from experts on the region.

2 Likes

Nor is there one between the U.S. and its neighbors, but it seems like “PUNISH CANADA AND MEXICO” would be an odd reaction to a story about American-made guns flooding the black market.

10 Likes

I always thought the solution would be for the US to make a commitment to buy the entire yearly opium crop from Afghanistan at a more-than-fair price, but only through the government. I suspect they’d figure out their differences fairly quickly without our further involvement on the ground. Plus, it could hardly be more expensive than a $1T war.

14 Likes

I feel you bro. I make a killer guac with a dash of Whole Foods asparagus water. But now they no longer sell asparagus water (the people at the store literally laughed at me), so I have to make my own.

And let me tell you, making vegetable water is NOT cheap.

To do it right you need to buy a $20,000 super-critical CO2 vegetable essence extractor, and you then have to shell out extra for the controller hardware. I spent the extra $10,000 for the vacuum tube model, because sure, most people can’t tell the difference between digital and tube asparagus water, but those of us with refined taste and a little extra spending cash surely can – it’s got a warmer, and nuttier flavor.

20 Likes

But it’s not profitable for the right people.

12 Likes