Some call Miyazaki's Nausicaa the greatest graphic novel ever

[Read the post]

2 Likes

It’s a beautiful movie, but I’ve never seen the manga.

1 Like

The manga is substantially different and expanded compared to the movie, I understand.

That hardcover boxed set is astonishingly affordable. I am very tempted. (Trying to get them from the local library would probably take many months on the waiting list.)

2 Likes

The first volume of the manga closely mirrors the plot of the movie. Apparently Miyazaki couldn’t get funding for the movie unless he had a manga to adapt from first, so that’s what he ended up doing.

The manga is a worthy investment - Miyazaki’s amazingly delicate linework is both beautiful and evocative in ways that the movie could not capture. Glad to see the current edition is the original large format (and also R-to-L !) - for a while, the story was only available in the smaller 5x8 format, and the subsequent image compression really hurt the style.

3 Likes

From the post, I gather that either Miyazaki made a second full-length animation called 風の谷のナウシカ (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind), which I’ve never heard of, or Kevin Kelly has never heard of ルパン三世 カリオストロの城 (Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro), which Miyazaki co-write and produced 4 years before Nausicaä.

Based on Cagliostro, I wanted to see more by Miyazaki, and more Lupin III anime. Cagliostro is very Miyazaki, and very not like the typical Lupin III. If you like Miyazaki, I recommend Cagliostro, but not the rest of the Lupin III oeuvre.

Nausicaa is a masterpiece. Or at least a Miyazaki’s masterpiece (that is enough merit on its own).

The graphic novel is waaaaaay better than the movie, hands down.

I have the 7 volume edition and every year I take a few nights to read it again. I also do it with Katsuhiro Otomo’s Akira and Guy Davis’ The Marquis. I think I may have a sweet tooth for black and white comics…

5 Likes

It’s certainly one of my favorites.

I have the newer 7-volume edition, the old 4-volume edition, and a few of the old 7-volume edition, but the 2-volume hardcover edition looks sweet, and I think I might have to pick it up at some point.

I love that manga so much. It is so uniquely Miyazaki, in all the right ways.

I think I k ow what everyone is getting for Christmas :slight_smile:

[quote=“blaisepascal, post:6, topic:65350”]Based on Cagliostro, I wanted to see more by Miyazaki, and more Lupin III anime. Cagliostro is very Miyazaki, and very not like the typical Lupin III. If you like Miyazaki, I recommend Cagliostro, but not the rest of the Lupin III oeuvre.[/quote]Lupin III varies tremendously in quality. Some is quite excellent, and some is downright appalling. I understand Miyazaki directed some episodes of the original series, but I never saw those. I also hear 2008’s Green vs. Red is particularly amazing, but I haven’t gotten around to that either.

The TV show is based on the manga and yeah Lupin is quite the ummm scoundrel in those and it is quite a bit more adult in nature. The Miyazaki film is not completely out of character for Lupin but toned down quite a bit.

You’re goddamn right. The comic is beautifully wrought, full of exhilaration and exquisite loss. And there has never been a more perfect hero than Nasicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

1 Like

I grew up in Japan, and a lot of my friend are sometimes put off by the colours used in western comics (especially US ones like marvel and DC). They much prefer reading them in black and white.
As I am half French, I also read Tintin, Asterix, that kind of stuff as a kid, so I got used to both coloured and non-coloured comics

1 Like

I’m Spanish, so also grew reading Tintin and Asterix, and loved those toned down colours, natural colours.

It shocks me and put me off when I see good old black and white British (2000 AD & Warhammer Monthly) republished with American colours. Just… UUUUuuuugh, no, don’t… STOP messing around… If it was created in black and white keep it right… Jesus!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.