Some data on your chances to ride Disneyland's 'Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance'

They essentially use a phone App you DL, and that’s your way to reserve a place in ‘virtual’ line. Disney doesn’t want people standing in line, not only for guest experience, but every moment you’re in a line, you’re not spending money on snacks, drinks, or trinkets.

I hope to go next year. I found some tickets with days left on them from 96. I sent images to Disney’s guest services and they checked them and I have 3 tickets with 4 days left on them…park hoppers.

3 Likes

Up until you brought it up… no.

7 Likes

No, the current setup for that ride involves trying to reserve a time slot for some time that day (which fill up almost immediately) and then going to the ride entrance at the appointed time.

4 Likes

At Disneyland all the rides are normal but this one. In previous years the new ride (whatever it would be) would have an hours long line. Even last year at Universal Orlando they had a Harry Potter ride open that, if I recall, ended up with a SIX HOUR long line.
So Disney’s solution was a virtual que. This means you come in, try to sign in via the app, and when it is your turn to get in a much shorter line, they buzz your phone. And yes, some people will get there and be told they won’t be able to ride the new ride. BUT this also means that no one is waiting in a six hour line. Which there are still so many rides there. Since you haven’t been in a long time, let me tell you, Disneyland is a LOT bigger than it used to be. So there won’t be a lack of things to do.

3 Likes

The hard science of “if these people are in line, they aren’t spending money” is probably the conceit of twenty Ph.Ds a year.

1 Like

I guess someone just has to be Mister Gotcha.

4 Likes

I rode the ride on opening day of Disneyland, Jan 17th with a boarding group of 22 with two friends.

The ride is amazing. Four different ride vehicles in a total show of roughly 20 minutes. It is ambitious and I feel delivers on the cutting edge of attraction based entertainment. But there’s a lot of moving parts and working through reliability issues.

No one is waiting “hours in line” for this ride. Even on opening day, the “boarding group” system insures you’re waiting at most one hour in queue. It does mean that there isn’t a 100% certain you’ll ride if you visit. There’s no up-charge, it does not effect the FastPass system in any way.

My advice to folks: Don’t depend on riding the ride when visiting either WDW or DL. If you’re willing to be at the park before/at opening, you can push the button on your phone and have a chance. You will still have a great day visiting the park without the ride. You’ll still have a great day if you get a boarding group but don’t ride.

3 Likes

Roger That!

2 Likes

Or you just go ohm.

2 Likes

Found the Disney employee. I keed, I keed. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to Disneyland a couple years ago, even with the long lines at the Cars ride, and the broken Space Mountain. The current FastPass system with the app is actually pretty good, especially for the latter, where we didn’t have to trek across the park just to check if a ride was in operation. I have aspirations to visit Galaxy’s Edge this fall, but even if I don’t get to see all of it, I’m sure it’ll be fun.

1 Like

Found the Disney Employee

If only!

I also forgot to mention the boarding group thing is only for the ride. You can get to the land and all the other things in it. But Oga’s requires a dining reservation.

No fast passes available for Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyworld when I went. I waited in a line that was estimated at 3.5 hours, actually took 4.5 hours. This will go down as the longest line I wait in for my lifetime. But it was cool to see what state of the art motion simulators and near retina displays can do today, not to mention the interactivity aspect.

On Saturday, Feb 1, the boarding groups got up to 141. I was in group 59. I don’t think it broke down even once…so things are improving quite a bit.

1 Like

I was lucky enough to take my kids there on January 11. Good times! There was a long pause in loading at one point but that meant we got to spend a lot more time in the hangar bay, which is a huge, impressive room that many folks just spend a few seconds in as they’re rushing to get to the next part.

My daughter was a little intimidated by the First Order officers, especially when they boarded our ship and said “THIS SHIP IS NOW THE PROPERTY OF THE FIRST ORDER. EVERYBODY OFF!” Later she said that they should learn to share better.

1 Like

I can play Vader Immortal on my VR headset any time I want.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.