Some guy spent 3 years trying to invent the perfect new pasta shape

I did find this: Cascatelli by Sporkful | Sfoglini Pasta

NSFW link. Thanks for that. Maybe a warning?

1 Like

Ooops! Sorry. Didn’t even think of it. My apologies. Will add a tag.

On second thought, I just deleted it. NSFW isn’t really my style anyway. Again, my apologies.

1 Like

Oh interesting! I guess it pays to have friends at NPR do five stories about you. :smirk: The Planet Money story ended on a note of “well, that was a disaster, won’t ever do that again”, but I guess demand was kindled by all the press so they’re going to make more.

2 Likes

But its a macaroni. It may be a great macaroni, but the experience of spaghetti goes beyond the shape - it requires a different method of eating.

What would be a real break through is a pasta that handled like spaghetti but had superior sauce retention, and better grabbing/retention of sauce mega-particles like pieces of meat and vegetable which may be part of the sauce or dressing. A superior spaghetti like form.

4 Likes

Choosing the correct pasta for your sauce is like choosing the right implement to eat your meal. Sure, you could eat a dessert pie with a straw or a salad with a spatula but they aren’t the best choice for the job.

Have you ever eaten a bowl of bolognese and had a bunch of meat left at the bottom of your bowl? If yes, you chose the wrong noodle.

Have you ever eaten a bowl of pasta where the noodle absorbed all the sauce and everything tasted dry and paste-like, you probably chose the wrong noodle.

5 Likes

But, he got his own personal vanity shape.

Priceless.

2 Likes

Because all the topping slides off uselessly into the serving dish? Yeah, I hear you. :wink:

That’s why I serve linguine when I make sauce. Just enough extra surface area to hold more sauce. It’s got a better chew, too.

2 Likes

A long and skinny I-beam cross-section (maybe more like H-beam). With fluted edges or tubercle bumps to catch the chunks and sauce.

1 Like

Oh that sounds yummy.

3 Likes

Marketing is not my department! Let me try again… nah, that was worse.

BTW, Tubercles are cool. But maybe not the best choice shape if the particle flow on the low pressure side of the pasta is increased. Then nothing sticks.

2 Likes

Basically, we need someone to figure out how to make chain link pasta. Like this but made of pasta.
chain

4 Likes

I love campanelle. It’s a lovely shape, really grabs sauces, and holds up surprisingly well while beautifying pasta salads.

Farfalle

is another pretty and useful pasta. Mom complained that the centers were always hard. I told her she was either nuts or hadn’t cooked it long enough. I made it the next time, and she agreed with my previous statement. :smiley:

When I was a kid, I was esp fond of

what we Yankistanis call wagon wheels. Rotelle is their real name. Those are hard to properly cook - usually they were either mushy or had hard bits. I eventually gave up on them.

When mom discovered

fiori (flowers), I fell in love. They turn out well every time, unlike rotelle, and they’re pretty.

I really like radiatore, but I prefer 'em

all ruffly-duffly. Those ruffles hold lotsa sauce. Their shape also amuses the tongue.

9 Likes

Sure, or like this but made of pasta. Just look at those mega-particles.

Shall we commence crowd-sourcing? I’d buy it.

4 Likes

We always use rotelli pasta for our Sauce Bolognese. We want our pasta to grab onto that sauce like kittens grab hooman legs.

4 Likes

Could this be like messenger Pasta (mRNA) or alphabet spaghetti.

5 Likes

Cooked conchiglioni last night, stuffed with ricotta, feta, garlic, spinach and nutmeg, with Napoli sauce. Conchiglioni is my new favourite pasta to stuff - it has a higher pasta/stuffing ratio than cannelloni which I really like.

In my mind it looked like this:

Reality may have been somewhat more untidy (due to rounding errors). But it was still good.

5 Likes

tumblr_mk4xokZWiF1s3a7bho1_400

3 Likes

Hand rolled egg pasta like tagliolini or tagliatelli mostly fit that bill, they’re quite rough externally, because you use an unfinished wooden rolling pin, so sauce sticks to them perfectly, very probably the best pasta for ragu alla bolognese… I’ve had some dried spagheti which is rougher, but that’s just better with tomato or pesto.

3 Likes