Making pasta

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/12/27/making-pasta.html

1 Like

@frauenfelder Radiatori?

(Also spelled “radiatore” depending on where you look.)

5 Likes

Not radiatore. My wife’s immediate reaction was trofie (a Genovese staple), but I would have guessed trottole.

5 Likes

We’ve always used that little grooved board to make gnocchi.

5 Likes

Trottole looks a little closer. It’s spiraling but still not quite right. All the pictures of trottole look like a spiraling tube.

2 Likes

Radiatore are an extruded dried pasta. Usually have much deeper grooves/viens than this. And fresh pasta shapes are not typically the same as even similar looking dried.

Trofie don’t appear to be grooved or made on a board.

Trottole appear to be an extruded, dries pasta

https://www.google.com/search?q=trottole&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjvk7rnjJXRAhXKSyYKHfyQDDYQ_AUIBygB&biw=360&bih=597

They look an awful lot like cavatelli one of the classic pastas made with a gnocchi board. But they are much thinner and less curved in on themselves. Not familiar with this specific shape. Could just be a quirk to how this person makes their cavatelli.

3 Likes

Yeah, looking up cavatelli there seems to be a flat and grooved version. This person appears to roll it off to the side. “Cavatelli Diagonale”

7 Likes

Hmm. 3D pasta printer…

11 Likes

He’s sliding down the length of the piece, and in your picture, they used the width.

1 Like

Man, this is tough. Why hasn’t Audubon released a field guide to identifying pasta?

10 Likes

Perhaps it’s crypto-pasta? Pasta that has never before been obseved by science.

8 Likes

Much like the Abominable Tortellini.

9 Likes

According to that Encyclopedia of Pasta, it looks like the “Lanterne” style. Though they look extruded in other images of store-bought, I wouldn’t be surprised if they were originally rolled like this.

Incidentally, I just got a pasta roller for christmas and love it! We made tortellini last night and had Spaghetti All Chitarra (according to the Encyclopedia) for lunch! Way easier than I thought it would be and very mess-free (I used a bowl to mix the flour and egg). Yum!

4 Likes

That’s not generally the way it works. Fresh and dried pastas are different products with distinct purposes. And different recipes. Fresh get fat and often egg. It’s softer generally. Extruded dried pasta is just water flour and sometimes salt. Occasionally the shapes are derived from one another. But you seldom find shapes that can be either.

It exists. A friend was a high end pasta chef for a Michelin stared kitchen. He kept multiple pasta catlogs/text books in the can as reading material. 1000 page lists of dried pasta with their standard number and appropriate uses. Similar for fresh, but lacking standards they were more like recipes. Describing how to roll and shape.

I’m still going with mis-shaped/hand rolled cavatelli but it’s likely there is some specific name and use for a looser, slanted, thinner cavatelli.

3 Likes

yum!!!

The pasta is Gnocchi…

1 Like

looks delicious. how is pasta so yummy?

I understand that. I was meaning that the extruded style dry pasta that is commercially available under the name “lanterne” is very likely a mass-production version of what was once a freshly-made, thicker style. I have no basis for that belief, though.

1 Like

This looks like the original source: https://www.instagram.com/p/63zGacM-Zy/
He says it is lumache pasta. Check out all his other pasta making videos.

6 Likes

Ctrl + V = done.

6 Likes