Making pasta

Sort of what I mean. Mass produced, machine made versions of fresh pasta exist as convenience products. But they are not typically made through extrusion with a macaroni type dough. They’ll still be made from a fresh pasta sort of dough, and even if it involves some sort of extrusion won’t necessarily be made on a standard pasta die machine. In some cases the dried version has even become sort of standard, like with orecchiette. Where the dried version is extremely similar to extruded pastas even if it isn’t technically extruded.

If that’s the approach here I’d suspect it goes the other way making an analogue for an extruded shape fresh and by hand. That’s definitely a thing. And they do look remarkably like Lanterne.

That doesn’t look like the Lumache I’m familiar with:

But you do often see Lumache with grooves. And the particular slanted way she’s pressing them out does create a similar tube shape now that I’m watching the video. So that might be the answer. Simple way of hand rolling an analogue to a complicated, extruded shape. Ends up midway between a Cavatelli and Lumache.

Though part of the complexity in playing “name that pasta” is in the massive regional variation in naming and shape of even a single variety of pasta. So its still entirely possible. That for some part of Italy Lumache genuinely refers to this shape, hand rolled, from a fresh dough. Making this a particular type of Lumache. (Though Lumache means “snail” basically, and is used to refer to shell shaped pastas of a particular type. So I think that’s less likely).

The creator here is apparently a Japanese Woman, working as a professional pasta chef in Toronto. So she’s either extremely talented and decided to make a fresh pasta with similar role/properties to a dried one. Or she knows something we don’t.

http://blog.instagram.com/post/131903282387/151025-miyukiadachi

3 Likes

Gnocchi isn’t pasta.

4 Likes

No extruder… bonus!

Gnocchi are weird. Technically they’re a dumpling. But they’re treated as and act as pasta. They can even be made from semolina or regular wheat flour (Parisian/pate a choux gnocchi) which makes them even more similar.

3 Likes

They also have the property of being either sublime or terrible. I’ve never had middling gnocchi in my life, it’s improbably ethereal or it’s a doughy belly-bomb.

4 Likes

I dunno if ethereal is entirely what you’re going for (with the potato and semolina ones anyway). Along with those German potato dumplings I can’t pronounce I’ve had plenty that go too far with the flour and lightness and cross into “I am eating boiled wonder-bread” direction. There’s a narrow band of still light but just substantial enough. Stray too far either way and things get weird in a bad way. Personally I tend to prefer a little denseness over the potato marshmallow approach.

1 Like

those are similar to sardinian gnocchi, we call them malloreddus (Little calves) or ciciones (fatsoes), you have just to Google for them and check if I am wrong or not. That encyclopedia seems to lack of every sardinian pasta shapes indeed, if you are curious search for:
Lorighittas
Fregula (similar to cous cous but the semolina bits are sundried and\or roasted and it’s cooked like a risotto,tipically with clams or artichokes)
Filindeu
Maccarones’e busa
Culurgiones (but these are dumplings filled with potatoes, fresh pecorino and mint)

2 Likes

I am curious. but I want to eat them, not looking at pictures…

1 Like

Yes, here it is: https://www.tno.nl/en/about-tno/news/2015/5/world-first-for-barilla-and-tno-3d-pasta-printer-at-expo2015/

HI! These kind of pasta are known as Gnocchi, Is a tradition in Argentina to eat them once a month (every 29th)

1 Like

I am sorry, I can’t find any button to attach a dish of pasta…
Malloreddus and Fregula (which is TOASTED and not ROASTED as I wrote
before, stupid autocorrect typo) are dried pasta sold everywhere in
Sardinia, less in Italy, more less in Europe;
Lorighittas are hard to find even here, so outside the island it could be
harder.
With a quick search I found that those products are sold online like on
artimondo.co.uk.
Besides Filindeu is an artisan product so I think it’s very difficult to
buy it abroad, I eat it just few times and always made by the hosts.

4 Likes

I think it’s semolina gnocchi pasta, not to be confused with potato gnocchi dumplings. Here’s a video to compare: Making Pasta with the Gnocchi Board

1 Like

@codinghorror, change request ; )

6 Likes

How are they at printing a pizza?

2 Likes

Tell us more! Sardinian cuisine must be informed by so many different cultures.

1 Like

What do you do in February? :wink:

2 Likes

2016-12-29 16:45 GMT+01:00 chgoliz:

Tell us more! Sardinian cuisine must be informed by so many different
cultures.

Are you still hungry? this evening sardinians’ fireplaces are burning, a
lot!
Most of us are cooking meat especially SU PORCEDDU, a suckling piglet which
weight is lower than 6 kg roasted on live fire, the secrets to do a good
porceddu are: has to be cooked vertically to keep liquids, use only salt
and there is no need of spices or marinature, add lard on the skin to
thicken the pigskin and have a crispy COTENNA

2 Likes

I don’t eat pig, but I used to cook EVERYTHING (including game) so I am intrigued by your statement that the animal is cooked vertically to keep in the juices. Makes so much sense, and yet I’ve never seen it except in some chicken rotisseries at the grocery store:

2 Likes

just some example to inspire your next BBQ

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.