Some guy spent 3 years trying to invent the perfect new pasta shape

Originally published at: Some guy spent 3 years trying to invent the perfect new pasta shape | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Try all you like. There’s no topping penne.

3 Likes

Here we go again…the pasta wars resume.

11 Likes

There. We have your thoughts and it cost nothing. HA!

3 Likes

Dammit! Now I gotta change my password from Penne15 to something else.

9 Likes

Now you do.

3 Likes

Serious Eats has begun doing a pasta “showdown” every March, they call it Starch Madness. It’s a brilliant dive into the world of pasta. Last year, Cavatappi took home the trophy in an upset win over spaghetti. This year, they’re not just doing noodle shapes but sauced dishes as well, and wow do people have opinions.

eta: I for one would gladly try cascatelli. I think it would hold chunky sauces brilliantly.

10 Likes

Castatelli? Ruffles? I thought this was a solved problem:

10 Likes

I think it resembles some kind of nudibranch.

Hopefully it doesnt crunch the same way.

25 Likes

If it does crunch, you didn’t cook it nearly long enough. :wink:

My favorite shape for versatility is cavatappi. Red sauce, white sauces, baked, pan finished, cold salad, doesn’t matter, this pasta does it all. This new shape looks like it wouldn’t survive in a salad or mac & cheese.

10 Likes

Recently I learned that cavatappi is the generic name for cellentani…

…which were named after this guy.

3 Likes

Campanelle is also a great chunky-sauce shape.

11 Likes

But we already have bucatini.

2 Likes

He didn’t accidentally remember this from our childhood, did he?

3 Likes

Planet Money did a more in-depth story on it:

It almost destroyed his marriage, by the sounds of it. It was a really dumb obsession, IMHO, but here we are. The TL;DL is that manufacturing limitations are the reason new shapes don’t come along often (not counting the novelty 2D profiles from kids’ canned pasta). Just about everything you can get from an extrusion to a 3D shape from a die has been done. There also isn’t demand for new shapes. We have enough shapes already and this guy was imagining a lot of complicated solutions to problems that didn’t really exist.

12 Likes

o oh spaghettiOs!

3 Likes

Yes! I love a “chambered” noodle. All the better to sauce you with.

8 Likes
1 Like

Where to buy to try?

You can’t. He managed to find one boutique pasta company to make a small run, but they lost money on every package. It won’t be made again, I don’t imagine.

1 Like