Some iPhone Xs and Xs Max owners are having problems charging their new handsets

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/01/some-iphone-xs-and-xs-max-owne.html

1 Like

Color me shocked.

Meanwhile, the last iphone I will ever own (the 6splus) still has no issues charging.

6 Likes

So, a thousand dollars for one of those and they don’t charge?

If I go and buy a Rolex, you know what, it fucking works the day I put it on.

3 Likes

I grow more and cynical about flagship smartphones every year. It’s starting to feel more and more like they’re a terrible bargain. After replacing the back of the case (WHY CHOOSE GLASS?) and battery, I’m thinking of “upgrading” from my S7 to a mid-range phone that just has a replaceable battery.

5 Likes

This is an iOS 12 issue. It also happens with older iPhones. The device will charge if it is awake when you plug the cable in. This is inconvenient but it’s not a big deal.

The bigger deal is the XS and XS Max coming with a charger that can’t quick charge the phones.

3 Likes

“If the battery don’t work, all else don’t work.”

My internal English teacher is in pain

3 Likes

“The cache of their brand is more or less bulletproof…”

Mine too. I’m assuming the author meant “cachet”.

3 Likes

Meh. Yes it’s shitty but it’ll get resolved. Apple will either quietly fix it in a software update or warranty exchange. It’s not really as big of a problem as it’s being made out to be.

Now, this shit on the other hand:

The fuck, Apple?

The WiFi problem is real - I have an XS and it won’t connect to the 5GHz band on my SSID that’s shared between both the 2.4 and 5GHz bands. I blame the new and unproven baseband. I was able to easily work around it by creating a 5GHz only SSID to work around it and I’m sure it’ll get patched in the future.

Yes, it’s shitty but that’s life on the bleeding edge. I have every confidence that Apple will make it right.

I’m not okay with every iteration having teething problems. And it’s not bleeding edge, bleeding edge was five generations ago and one company over with the water-resistant phone that came with a replaceable battery. It was screens that give you the whole display area instead of cutting into it with a speaker, and being able to use super advanced peripheral devices like earphones without a dongle.

But this rant was done better by someone else:

7 Likes

And once they fix the charging issue, Apple needs to restore the number button and the emoji botton to their previous locations. Why would the switch them!?!?!

WHYYYYYY???

1 Like

It’s bleeding edge on the sense that it’s a brand new model that’s only been on the market for a couple of weeks.

I’ve owned nearly every generation of iPhone and whenever I’ve run into a problem Apple has always made it right.

While I may disagree with many of Apple’s design concessions (and the Louis Rossman video you linked is excellent) I find it to hard to get up in arms over the current crop of issues.

Don’t worry, they’ll switch ‘em back in 13.

2 Likes

Probably they spent so much on the new shiny thing that they can’t pay their electric bill and it got shut off. It’s like The Gift of the Magi, but for modern times.

Good luck finding one, they’re becoming quite rare beasts :slight_smile:
My current phone is an LG G5 solely because it was one of the few phones left available at the time that still had a user-replaceable battery.

I may end up importing my next phone from China. As whilst many of the phones there also lack replaceable batteries, they don’t seem to have the wests “maximum thin size and as light as possible, sod the battery” industry-wide focus, and you can find models with near double the battery capacity of western equivilents :open_mouth:

3 Likes

You still have to charge them?

Still using my Iphone 6 with IOS 12…no charging issue at all :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
But battery draining fast after update to IOS 12, anyone facing same issue?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.