Some light book-burning in Chagrin Falls, USA

Yes it is clear that the NY Times is an unassailable, pure, undeniably rare gem in our firmament, a beacon of truth too pure for souls like us, and what I said about the importance of some donor getting his kid off the waitlist at Dartmouth is far more important than the rise of fascism in the GOP, why yes, I agree with that 100%.

Why, if Chad Collingsworth III can’t rush DKE like his father and his grandfather just because his B- average at Choate isn’t up to snuff and his place is taken by, horrors, a public school student, can any of us truly be free? If Bret Stephens takes the mildest criticism, clearly that’s the same as living in Germany in 1943.

Anyway, there’s a diner in Ohio somewhere filled with people who need to get their story out in a way that is totally honest and not manipulated at all by some NY Times reporter fulfilling a prewritten narrative. Good thing they’re taking a breather from writing deep analysis of Hillary Clinton’s laugh. The world can only stand so many insights from the NY Times.

1 Like

What the fuck are you on about?

Is this some recursive Poe’s Law thing going on? Or are you mistakenly thinking that the NYT is left wing rather than the US equivalent of British One Nation Conservatism?

16 Likes

Friend, you might think that you don’t need the /s, but Poe’s Law says that you really, really do.

And if you aren’t actively depleting the world strategic sarcasm supply, then I think you’re trying to convince the wrong crowd.

18 Likes

I’m starting to wonder less about what they’re on about and more about what they’re on.

I’m not a librarian but I am librarian adjacent, being IT Staff in a large library. (Always happy to see @MadLibrarian posting, of course!) I’m on enough lists to see attacks at board meetings around the US. Book Riot is a particularly good source for this news (see the linked story, then continue into the rabbit hole list of links to other attacks on books in the list at the bottom of the article.)

12 Likes

It was a pleasure to burn.

5 Likes

derry-girls-sister-michael-christ

9 Likes

Tbf, this would work even if he had never written anything. The actual Nazi book burnings used firemen to make sure “everyone” was “safe” at their hatefest. Burning down synagogues was also often done in conjunction with the local fire department

6 Likes

I’m stocking up on sarcasm supply right now!

6 Likes

Methinks he’s playing the long /ssssssssssssss game, and willing to ride it all the way to the end.

5 Likes

Ok, since it came up …

We have a rather large chunk of Ray Bradbury’s personal collection here at our library. The dinosaur is one of my favorite items, of course.

21 Likes

Man, I hope Fireside Book Shop is OK.

(It’s the bookstore in Chagrin Fallls)

1 Like

I like the reference to Bradbury’s wall-sized TV screens, which he thought would be even more dangerous than censorship

5 Likes

Book burning seems to be the in-thing across the political spectrum:

An Ottawa student wrote in her school paper that Golding’s 1954 novel about white boys stranded on an island turning savage and killing their own, did not reflect what she as “a Black, Jewish, feminist and social justice activist” wished to read.

“I do not need to learn about … how these boys cannot act in a civilized manner to protect one another without desiring power, hierarchy and having a thirst for blood.”

Ban ‘Lord of the Flies’? In the age of Donald Trump, it’s required reading | The Star

Cthon98 hey, if you type in your pw, it will show as stars

Cthon98 ********* see!

AzureDiamond hunter2

AzureDiamond doesnt look like stars to me

Cthon98 AzureDiamond: *******

Cthon98 thats what I see

AzureDiamond oh, really?

Cthon98 Absolutely

AzureDiamond you can go hunter2 my hunter2-ing hunter2

AzureDiamond haha, does that look funny to you?

Cthon98 lol, yes. See, when YOU type hunter2, it shows to us as *******

AzureDiamond thats neat, I didnt know IRC did that

Cthon98 yep, no matter how many times you type hunter2, it will show to us as *******

AzureDiamond awesome!

AzureDiamond wait, how do you know my pw?

Cthon98 er, I just copy pasted YOUR ******'s and it appears to YOU as hunter2 cause its your pw

AzureDiamond oh, ok.

5 Likes

We’ve already been through this

TL;DR version:
It was right wing manufactured outrage. Just like it always has been.

22 Likes

wil-wheaton-thisisbullshit|nullxnull

No both sides do not want to burn books. One said wants to burn books and told us that they want to burn books. Demanding greater literary inclusivity isn’t the same thing as banning books that teach you that white straight cisgendered men are the only ones with value.

Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV

21 Likes

One side is burning books. The other is saying they don’t want to read them because they lack meaning for them.

These are indeed exactly the same thing. On Bizarro World.

Also - why are there always only two sides? My guess is so that limiting the terms of debate helps some shape the narrative and limit what’s possible.

21 Likes

student, “i would like to read some books by authors of color.”

the gop, “it’s cancel culture! why are students burning books ( when that’s clearly our job! )”

17 Likes

Hard to ignore the clamoring for book burning in my state. I don’t read the nyt, but I have a bingo if anyone wants to suggest that it’s run by lizard people.

13 Likes

The thing is, there is absolutely reasons to criticize the NYT… hell, we have a whole thread for that! But to say that they’re delusional about the rise in authoritarianism is just wrong.

13 Likes