Some light book-burning in Chagrin Falls, USA

My guess has been that by limiting the world to good ol’ conservatives and out-of-touch liberal elites, you don’t have to acknowledge all the other people that the one side is trying to dehumanize, throw in camps, lynch, or so on.

17 Likes

You might be ready for some media literacy training!
Good news, there are lots of options.
For the self-starter:

https://www.medialit.org/media-literacy-definition-and-more

Or:

16 Likes

tumblr_mkem0eGgxN1ri64xeo1_500

12 Likes

Hmm. I read the article referenced and it seems the girl did in fact write what I quoted. The article goes on to say, "the student does say “I do not need to listen to my white teachers use the N-word while reading To Kill a Mockingbird , saying that it is ‘okay’ because they are the teacher”

“Media literacy” indeed seems to be a problem when people try to change what is said and written. Work on it.

Right, she doesn’t think it’s what should be picked to teach in class. It doesn’t even mean it’s been banned since that’s true of the vast majority of published books. Book burning on the other hand is about actually getting rid of books by lighting them on fire…this is, you see, what the word burning means. Perhaps before media literacy training, you need ordinary English literacy training?

13 Likes

Nope. Not at all representative of the actual story you’re quoting.

12 Likes

Regarding the fundamentals of reading, you might want to revisit the CoC/ToS which you agreed to by joining this site.

14 Likes

So the issue is that Lord of the Flies was not banned, it was not burned. It is no long part of the curriculum for a particular schoolboard. People decided to spin up the removal of an old book to make way for a new one into a story about “banning” a book that is probably still sitting on the shelf in the school library for any kid who wants to read it.

I think the “media literacy” quip was about identifying when a story has been spun or overhyped - usually to drive “engagement” which mostly means trying to make us angry. Articles about this story misrepresent what happened (the book was not banned) and try to make it sound like it was done because young people are so sensitive and woke, not because school curriculums change over time. It’s overblown nonsense.

17 Likes

From conservatives!?!?!? NEVER!!! /s

Shocked Oh My God GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.