Some terrible 80s music videos

11 Likes

This looks way hi def for the 80’s. Also they never played this on MtV enough…wait, did the mullet ever get to Australia?

1 Like

Someone “remastered” it in the linked video. They reinterpolated it to 60 fps and used fancy algorithms to clean up the video to look a little better.

The results can be quite striking. For instance this well known video looks like it could have been released yesterday after getting a similar treatment:

This isn’t a cheap attempt at a RickRoll - it really looks stunningly modern.

2 Likes

New Kids fan I take it.

I dare you…

4 Likes

To be truthful when I said I liked “most” of these, I was imagining the Flock Of Seagulls videos were on the list, and I was counting them above ONJ and New Kids.

2 Likes

Now ALL those songs are stuck in my head at the same time, competing with each other… Honestly, the ONJ song is the best of the bunch…

Anyways, here is Julianna Hatfield covering Physical… as a counter point

It’s a pretty bad video though… they turn into skeletons…

Ugh… so bad.

5 Likes

You say that as if it is a bad thing.

7 Likes

You and I must have wildly different concepts of “better.”

I mean, it’s pretty cheesy and a bit too on the nose… the grateful dead, they’re skeletons, get it! YMMV, of course!

As a category of music, though, the 80s hairmetal bands probably had the worst videos collectively… poorly done, usually deeply misogynistic, etc, etc… I’m not even going to bother posting that shit.

8 Likes

Olivia Newton-John is the granddaughter of Nobel-winning German Physicist Max Born.

5 Likes

I saw Billy Squier in 1982, he opened for Queen. It did not go well. At one point he wiped his face with a towel and tossed it into the crowd, they threw it back at him.

But Queen… Oh my, awesome.

3 Likes

The Guardian suggests

Not 80s, though.

3 Likes

This is the one I was expecting to see. Even the artist thinks this damaged his career.

1 Like

What reasons?

2 Likes

I’m guessing trouser-related.

4 Likes

Greg Kihn’s producers did it better on the video Jeopardy, tho.

2 Likes

And that includes their videos.

By the way, the audience threw razors onto the stage when Freddie grew his mustache.
People were into throwing things back than, I guess.

13 year old me and 20 Minute Workout beg to differ.

4 Likes

I don’t care what Starship says, if you’re going to develop a dense urban metropolis it’s better to build on an area with accessible bedrock than to build on rock n’ roll.

19 Likes