Some terrible 80s music videos

Sad thing is that it’s not all that exceptional as a bad video- he dances around lamely, with occasional band performance shots. It’s pretty bog standard for the time. Nope, what tanked his career was committing the unpardonable sin of writhing in a non-masculine color scheme.

2 Likes

From my experience dabbling in upscaling video using AI I’ve found the more zoomed in on a person’s face you are the better the results. I think a lot of these algorithms have a hard time when dealing with smaller facial sizes and how to upscale that compared to the background around it. The Men At Work video looks too sharp, but too smoothed at the same time. But give the colors, movement, and people in the video it kind of makes sense (at least IMHO). The Rick Astley video looks good. I’m not going with recently shot on 4k modern hardware good, but certainly better than a lot of videos shot 20 years later. (It’s the colors and shading that date a lot of videos for me.)

Maybe in 20 years we can do it in real time into a VR or cybernetic implant and I can just “see” it.

1 Like

Came for this, now I’m satisfied.

PS: come on, the Jefferson Starship clip is ok. Oh, the nostalgia…

1 Like

There is terrible like rickrolls and terrible like trump. The fat shaming of “Physical” puts it into the latter category.

1 Like

The 80’s might have had some bad music video and bad music in general, but without that time period we couldn’t have it reinvented as the aweseome synthwave that it is today.

4 Likes

I want to know what wrong choices Grace Slick made in her career to go from singing White Rabbit to… well, anything Starship did in the 80s.

Exhibit B:

3 Likes

Exhibit C:

Oh, who am I kidding. Starship was great.

6 Likes

Exhibit Ω:

2 Likes
1 Like

This video for Mama’s Boys Needle in the Groove is problematic in a number of ways, not least because it’s uncomfortably misogynistic.

Which is a pity because the song is terrific and the beautiful lady trying to make her escape from this trainwreck of a video is none other than Virginia Hey - The Warrior Woman from Mad Max 2; The Road Warrior.

Edit for typo.

1 Like

Episode 1 Reaction GIF by The Office

5 Likes

Did the mullet ever get to Australia! Have you seen our 80’s sportsmen.

6 Likes

Benny Mardones “Into the Night”

The guy is singing about a 16 year old girl, who seems completely uninterested in him, that he wants to take on a magic carpet ride. It is corny, pervvy, and oily at the same time.

It is on YouTube, but I cannot link things

1 Like

The city built on rock n roll is probably going to survive the effects of global warming better than Miami.

5 Likes

Or what worked or didn’t work. I think some of the wild gesticulating we laugh at would be perfectly acceptable when viewed way back from the nose bleed seats of a auditorium.

3 Likes

YES! Synthwave is the 80s-nachronism I love the most!

3 Likes

Well … Xanadu …
Which is not bad precisely. It certainly has a lot of joie de vivre; Olivia Newton John with ELO! Bloomers! And roller skates! What’s not to love?

6 Likes

OMG, This is actually my upload on one of my youtube channels.

LOL.

6 Likes

Thanks for finding a version without the laugh track!

5 Likes

I had to re-create it using copies I had and the records and carefully try to erase the voice over from the start that was on the record by combining some other versions. It was a fun experiment that came out well.

9 Likes