Somebody swiped weed from Chicago airport's "Cannabis Amnesty Box"

You just can’t trust stoners.

The Colorado boxes don’t look very friendly. (And probably have a postbox type hatch to prevent withdrawals.)

Illegal? How is that any different from taking something out of the trash?

1 Like

Take a sativa leave an indica?

“Ugh I need to work on this flight can’t be sleepy…”

It’s not trash. That’s more like stealing from a recycling bin intended to safely dispose of cans etc and selling the material to a scrap shop.

It’s not a trash bin so you don’t have a right to it.

It’s disposed of by burning, about half a gram at a time.

3 Likes

Well, you wouldn’t download a car, would you? So this is like, if the box were a computer, and the weed were a car… well, I mean, a whole bunch of cars. But you didn’t want just one car, you wanted to download all the weed. Then you’d be, like, “hey, I don’t care about the people who make the cars,” and the weed would be… it’d be downloaded to…

Okay, I’m going to come back to this explanation when I’m a little less baked.

2 Likes

Always cook pot before you eat it; you’ll get far more out of it.

1 Like

Do they have dispensaries or like a lot of states is it only theoretically legal and will take months/years for a legal, taxed source?

Illinois indeed has dispensaries. But, because they Illinoised up the original setup for growing medical weed, supplies are short and expensive. Vapes are easiest to get, probably because people have been scared off by the Vitamin E acetate crisis.

Dispensaries must (quite rightfully) have supplies for medical customers. Also, many village boards/city councils have clutched their pearls and barred recreational sales, including some with medical dispensaries. Only weed purchased from an Illinois dispensary is legal. Whether or not anyone gets popped for personal quantities of black-market or out-of-state herb remains to be seen.

There are a few dispensaries that are rec-specific, but the ones that aren’t have long lines and a lack of parking. It’s going to take a long while for the market to sort itself out.

2 Likes

This part surprised me… thought that was an issue limited to the black market? Don’t they have processes etc for quality? (It was my understanding testing etc is often a major component of shortages since that infrastructure can sometimes be too small to support demand)

I don’t know if that’s even actually true, but it is certainly not remotely obvious.

Are they saying it’s illegal in the same way it’s illegal (in some places) to claim an item of value off the sidewalk? Is there a special new law covering these boxes? Or are they just bullshitting?

That last would be totally believable. The mall near me has signs in the outdoor parts saying “it’s illegal to smoke here”, which AFAIK is a flat-out lie – even if the owners intend to eject you or sue you for doing it, it’s not a crime. Cops and fake cops will absolutely pull imaginary laws out of their asses if they can’t think of a real law to explain why you have to obey their whims. And I’d imagine it will take some cops in the US a long time to fully grasp the concept that cannabis is not illegal.

2 Likes

There are, but the breathless reporting in the news media, if you weren’t listening carefully, might leave you with the impression that this was an across-the-board problem. In any event, all legal products in Illinois have a tracking label with a test report.

1 Like

i’m not a… is vapist the term? if not let’s make it… but anyways sounds like a good time to stock up if they take a long time to “expire” if the price is down due to emotional reasoning but the quality is assured.

1 Like

Except the price isn’t down. You just have a better chance of not going home empty-handed if you’re willing to consider a vape (either the e-cig variety or wax/shatter/live resin).

Oh, yes, one other factor: Concentrates (THC > 35%) get hit with a 25% tax, vs. 10% for flower.

It was already edibles and to just the plant.

Must’ve been a junkie.

How is this a crime?

Interesting. That seems like a perverse inventive since you can make distillate from flower, but it’s a dangerous process best left to professionals. Also while I’m not going to claim vaping is 100% safe, I think I’m not being unreasonable to take the position it may be better to vaporize, rather than smoke marijuana.

(That being said, anything to excess is probably bad so don’t go from 1 joint a week to vaping 24/7 and go “but it’s saffffeeee”. This is more like swapping ibuprofen for tylenol, to use a medical example, imo.

Also it does without saying but I’ll be explicit: I’m not a doctor, not anyone’s doctor, and in fact may simply be a homeless man living in a van south of market leeching wifi from Philz with a cantenna.

(On a totally unrelated note don’t pee on vans with tinted windows unless you’re sure they’re empty #lifehacks)

That’s my question as well. We used to have amnesty boxes in the military and I’ve always wondered whose job it was the clean them out?

So obvious cops/TSA agents pissed someone took it before they did. There’s no record of what or how much is in box at any time.

I’d even postulate a more likely story. One of the “straight” cops saw someone put pot in box. Later, when he went to dispose of it, and found it empty, the cops that actually took the pot said, “I saw a traveler around the box earlier. They must have taken the contraband that was inside!”

2 Likes