SON OF COCKY: a writer is trying to trademark "DRAGON SLAYER" for fantasy novels

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/14/mse-media-llc.html

6 Likes

12 Likes

Now we get to see if anyone at the USPTO exhibits any signs of higher brain functions.

3 Likes

Seems like the hundreds of Welsh, English, German and Scandinavian stories of famous dragon slayers would be prior art. Or will I we need to put some warnings in the The Prose Edda?

11 Likes

Why stop at “Dragon Slayer”? Why not trademark both “dragon” and “slayer,” too? Why not trademark dragons and the concept of slaying?

10 Likes

Christ, what a late stage capitalism!

11 Likes

Sorry, you’ll need to get past my pending trademark of the words ‘A’ and ‘I’, plus the interjection ‘O’ first.

12 Likes

Indeed, why stop there?

5 Likes

Games Workshop would like a word…

6 Likes

This kind of shit is exactly why I left the USPTO in disgust after only one year as a patent examiner.

13 Likes

There is only one

20 Likes

Came here for this, because it’s a co-production with Disney. I have a hard time believing this trademark will gain any traction because of Disney. (Unless Disney then buys the trademark, because Disney.)

9 Likes

Classic late stage capitalist move. Will happen.
(They will oppose it and if they lose they will buy it.)

3 Likes

Totally love this movie, it’s pretty damn awesome.

4 Likes

Didn’t GW recently try to claim a trademark on “Space Marine”?

2 Likes

Still my favorite movie dragon. Watched it about a year ago and the special effects are fresh air to the stale CGI we have now.

4 Likes

I would love to see someone make a movie similar to this, or Krull. Damn i love Krull, it’s borderline cheesy and bad but you don’t really see movies doing both full blown fantasy AND sci-fi.

3 Likes

Holy hell this is amazing (cockybot, not tm trolls) and this is my fave so far…

6 Likes

I suspect they tried. Personally, the fact that GW has absolute conniptions if anyone tries to use the words “WarHammer™” and “40,000™” with a single space between them and goes all turbo lawyer on them, has me a bit reluctant to purchase any of the stuff they sell.

(that, and from what I hear, building a proper army costs quite a bit of money and many, many hours with a super fine paintbrush, which is a skill I do not possess.)

3 Likes

(and yes, the “™” symbols after the two words were sarcasm, and parody. I’m still guaranteed the right of parody under the first amendment, which GW’s lawyers obviously need to re-read…)

2 Likes