Sony insists the X button is actually the "cross" button

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/09/sony-insists-the-x-button-is-a.html

3 Likes

Delta Oh X Box

11 Likes

The unanswered question, however, is why they switched the functions of the X and O buttons for the Western release of the PlayStation.

On a Japanese console, the O button is used to confirm menu choices, and the X button to cancel them.
On a Western console, it is the other way around.
No-one knows why this is.

If you try and research it, you’ll find a bunch of people smugly telling you that the reason the buttons are configured that way in Japan is because they associate a circle with affirmative/correct in the same way we do a tick mark, and they associate a cross with negative/incorrect.

Which is fine, but doesn’t explain why they’d switch them.

Sure, we don’t have the positive association for a circle, but the idea of a diagonal cross meaning “wrong” or “cancel” is very well established here; it’s not as though we have a positive meaning assigned to the X symbol.

10 Likes

This is at the same level of the creator of GIF saying it is pronounced “jif.”

16 Likes

VioletFatherlyAchillestang-size_restricted

6 Likes

I insist the letter X is a cross letter. As in Ped Xing.

Also the number 0 is just an empty circle.

7 Likes

How about “X marks the spot”?

4 Likes

Which makes total sense since the word the G stands for is “graphic” (pronounced “jra-fik”).

11 Likes

I have heard that theory espoused before, but does it really seem to you like that is such a strong association that it outweighs the one of X as “cancel” within a computing/iconography context?

2 Likes

And? I don’t see the problem.

9 Likes
5 Likes

Saltire! 

1 Like

They are all pizza.

Pizza Slice, Pizza Box, Whole Pizza, No Pizza.

27 Likes

I call it the “Greater Than Less Than” button

><

9 Likes

There is no acceptable argument in this discussion.
If you try to argue with them, you lose.
The only proper answer is too laugh enough to make them stop talking.

3 Likes

“I’m making Graphics right now…”

15 Likes

DOX Box???

1 Like

X is the times symbol. O is zero. The 3 sided one is delta. The four sided one is “end of proof.” Sony is trying to make math fun.

5 Likes

Yes. Cross.

10 Likes

20 years after the word had already been commonly used, no less.

8 Likes