Sony officially unveils baffling "PlayStation Portal" handheld

I keep wondering if we are going to see it return in some way.

Nintendo has said that it was a step on the way to the switch - it was what they were able to do in that direction at the time. Now that the switch is a massive success, I have wondered whether or not in the next thing they will try something along these lines again by putting some brains into the dock or something and somehow giving you the ability to have a second screen. Unfortunately, the only way I could think of to do it would be to have the main screen be in your hands and the second screen on the TV. Which is weird

I’m interested to see where they go next, and whether doing something like the above would result in another Wii u type of confusion. Whatever they do though, I’m sure it will be interesting and weird in some way. Honestly Nintendo is the only console manufacturer I’m at all interested in these days - PlayStation and Xbox don’t give me anything I can’t get better on PC

ETA: I don’t consider any of this off topic… there’s really nothing to talk about with the PlayStation Portal …

Well, I certainly don’t while sitting at my desk at work. Nope! Not me, nosiree!

… designed by a committee to achieve a long list of incompatible goals, starting with “compete with the Switch” and “sell more PS5s” :confused:

1 Like

Welcome to the BBS!

Dance Flowers GIF by A24

I take it back! Turns out there is definitely some stuff to discuss!

I had not realized that it doesn’t support Bluetooth audio!

Turns out that the only wireless headset that you can use with it… is the $150 - $200 ones that they’ve announced with it. So if you want to use this on the couch and not bother your partner with noise it basically costs twice as much

(ETA: it does have a headphone jack)

It’s astounding to me how Sony keeps botching handheld gaming devices. They have everything at their disposal to make these things international hits like Nintendo did with their devices, but then they make a number of little choices that add up (monetarily and otherwise) to make things that not a whole lot of people will bother with.

2 Likes

Memory sticks :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I’ve always liked Sony made devices (not that i’ve actually bought them). They’re often very well made, and with interesting features that have piqued my interest. Sadly they also have a long history of proprietary cables, ports, memory sticks, batteries, etc and sometimes having interfaces that aren’t user friendly in certain products… generally their phones and tablets. This handheld device i definitely struggle why it was even made, it barely ticks any boxes for being something a gamer, serious or casual, would be interested in.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.