South Carolina cop who shot black man for following orders arrested

Erm, the individual in question didn’t die? And I think even the biggest cop critic can see why attempted murder isn’t really applicable in this case… I think the highest category of assault with a deadly weapon is actually pretty accurate on the charges. Possibly should be a few more tacked on as well, but, the assault charge itself seems apt.

1 Like

Seems Officer Quickdraw has a few notes in his case file.
http://www.wltx.com/story/news/2014/09/18/5-complaints-against-trooper-involved-in-shooting/15827287/

Of special note: #4
1-6-2013: “Groubert was blocking a lane of traffic to assist in rerouting traffic due to a collision. A subject drove around his patrol vehicle. Subject complained that he spoke to her in an unprofessional manner. He stopped and charged subject with ‘disobedience to police,’ which was determined to be an improper charge. Charge was dismissed.”

Also something on 8.21.14 (ongoing)

3 Likes

The cop panicked. Why did he panic? The victim made a quick movement. Would the cop have been so quick to shoot a white man who moved quickly? I don’t know, but I do know there are a lot of people in the USA who think racial profiling is A-OK.

Well, this is what you get with racial profiling. Polite well-spoken guy follows police orders, but because he is black he “fits the profile” of someone going for a gun, and so the cop shoots first.

I’m sure the Sean Hannitys of this world will find a way to defend that police officer.

2 Likes

Why were you pulling me over?
A seatbelt violation, sit.

For fucking serious. A fucking “seatbelt violation.”

Is that the equivalent of “Hmmm, looks like your taillight’s out. <sound of breaking glass>.”?

4 Likes

The poor man. Has anyone get up a GoFundMe appeal to help him fight the dismissal?

Officer Groubert was awarded a Medal of Valor in 2013 for shooting a different person.

Also, I’ll be really interested to learn the details of the “Incident in a courtroom” that happened in late August.

4 Likes

I don’t know about that, but what do you want to bet that if he isn’t convicted, there will be a counter-suit for wrongful termination?

Groubert’s attorney, Barney Geise, said his client is not guilty

But not guilty of what? Did his attorney mean he wasn’t guilty of the Lindberg baby kidnapping or something? Because I don’t think he can argue he didn’t shoot the guy, and it was clearly without provocation, so…

Very few people are good shots with handguns in stressful situations. The NYPD, who have to hit the target 78 percent of the time to qualify with firearms, have an accuracy rate of 30 percent when shooting at suspects who do not return fire- it’s dramatically lower if they do.

2 Likes

Meanwhile in Ohio, a black man was shot on sight after picking up a BB gun in a Walmart. The surveillance video showed him chatting on this cell phone in Walmart, picking up a pellet gun and continuing his shopping until shot dead.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/25/john-crawford-father-wal-mart_n_5882808.html

4 Likes

In South Carolina? The angry villagers there burn crosses and wear white hoods.

2 Likes

That video was chilling. There was something about the sudden quickness of the victims moves that suggested furtiveness. If I were that cop I would also be afraid something bad was about to happen.

I genuinely believe this cop was afraid for his life. And I genuinely believe there was no actual threat to his life. It’s not a civilized society if people are shooting at everyone that makes them afraid. That’s the opposite of civilization.

My response would be to take cover and call for backup. The number one thing I wish they taught at the police academy is to run away from a perceived threat.

3 Likes

Getting pulled over by a cop has been turned into a hostage situation. Cops don’t have to pull anyone over. Take picture of the license plate and send the citation in the mail. There needs to be a thick stone wall between the police and law abiding people.

6 Likes

He’s already said “the suspect dived into the car” and he feared a gun would emerge.

It is pretty damn stupid to be able to drive around for years with a camera on your dashboard and still not know it is there.

2 Likes

Guess he knows what’s good for him by that point.

3 Likes

That video was chilling. There was something about the sudden quickness of the victims moves that suggested furtiveness. If I were that cop I would also be afraid something bad was about to happen.

I genuinely believe this cop was afraid for his life. And I genuinely believe there was no actual threat to his life. It’s not a civilized society if people are shooting at everyone that makes them afraid. That’s the opposite of civilization.

Except that it is the cop that created this situation by giving the the motorist ambiguous instructions. The motorist does what motorists are supposed to do – he obeys the cop – and then the cop shoots him for doing what the cop asked.

I presume this is why the state is not defending the cop in this case, since cops generally want people to be slavishly obedient to their orders and the defense here is essentially that the motorist was too enthusiastic in trying to obey the officer.

Many of us with children have learned that communicating clearly and unambiguously is both important and something that you have to practice at to some extent. Weird that a decorated cop never got that memo.

6 Likes

I laughed, even though that made me feel horrible, and now I want to cry. Is there a word for despair induced laughing-crying?

1 Like

There’s a chance he will be found guilty, because they’re charging him with less serious crimes than a non-cop who did the same thing would have been charged with.

3 Likes

That’s protected speech, as long as they stay in the burning torches and angry villagers zone in the fenced yard out by the composting plant.

3 Likes