Southwest flight crew didn't let woman call her suicidal husband

I think this is the problem, people don’t take the flying bus seriously, it is just crappy public transportation to them. There is none of the years of bleeding gouts of money and hard work to obtain a pilot license and then years of minimum wage paying commuter jobs, just a rock bottom ticket purchased over the internet and a t-shirt and sandal coach culture.

Not if its your partner.

And my initial guess as to the reason it’s a SAT phone rather than a cell phone is to ensure connectivity rather than safety (in regards to cell signals and avionics) as there’s a chance you may not maintain cell tower connectivity if you’re 22-45 miles distant from the closest tower’s max range when flying over remote land or the sea.

I once forgot to airplane mode my phone and realized so mid-flight over the Atlantic… also noticing that it was completely devoid of cell network connectivity of any kind for some time

But I don’t work in avionics or the cell network industry, so I’m willing to concede I may be wrong about the reason.

1 Like

But my point is she shouldn’t. She shouldn’t shoulder any of the guilt, though she probably will.

Totally besides the point. Either a mobile call is a potential danger to the plane or it’s not. If it is, you can not allow a 911 call putting the lives of everyone on board at risk. The article says the airline had procedures in place to use aircraft communications for passenger emergencies, but the cabin crew apparently did not comply with that.

2 Likes

… either that, or they should have simply followed their company procedures which would probably have given her some means of communication . Procedures are useful when you can’t rely on people being smart, or empathic. But when on top of that they don’t follow their own rules, you’re screwed.

1 Like

Agreed. I was thinking of the steward.

@chromakey Check your Sarcasm Module.

It’s obvious - and been demonstrated - that an active phone poses little, really, no risk to the operation of the aircraft - more or less - for all intents & purposes and etcetera.

I have always put my phones in airplane mode because being away from a cell phone tower can really drain a battery…I realize that more planes now have usb or 110 outlets for charging, but some still do not. Just my two cents…so like…nothing much else to see here.

1 Like

You Are the Wind Beneath My Wings.

Edit: never mind my comment, I see you have already replied to a similar response to mine.

People respect the pilots. People rightfully do not respect security/safety theater, and you should probably not confuse the two. The pilot doesn’t make the stupid policies, and pilots utilize fucking iPads in their daily work. Airline policy that incorporates ignorance over electronic devices isn’t their fault.

1 Like

she was trying to call her husband. Whatever the circumstances, airlines have to view such calls with skepticism. People have been known to exaggerate in order to get what they want. Had she instead called 911, it would have changed her position with the airline.

Viewing the calls with skepticism and making a decision based on a lack of concern (when they likely have the autonomy to allow her to call the cops) are two entirely separate things.

No one would fault them for verifying that this is indeed an emergency. We fault them for their lack of interest in pursuing the options within their power and falling back to authoritarianism.

1 Like

I agree, security theater is wrong, it is the disrespect and inability to act in a civil matter that I have a problem with. When in a crowded flying tube for many hours you should take the feelings of those around you into consideration before doing something selfish and antisocial. I believe in democratizing access to travel but asshat passengers are the lesser Satin to actually dangerous security theatre but still an evil to both crew and other more civilized passengers.

I agree, I just see a gulf of difference between rightful skepticicm of a potential ill-actor, either “terrist” or “asshole customer” and a kneejerk and absolute dismissal of any possible legitimate emergency.

If it was felony assault, and someone DID die from it, a zealous prosecutor in that state may be able to go for felony murder.

Does this matter? No. Will it happen? No. Will the woman even be able to successfully sue for the actual harm of loss income caused by this? Possibly.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.